New
Find
Notify
Tools

NP3 vs Birdson finish
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was ready to package up a rifle and send off to Birdsong for his black metal treatment when I decided to do a search and read some more.
Seems Birdsong applies a baked on finish that some claim is easy to scratch.
I need durability as much as anything so which finish is the toughest, NP3, roguard, or Birdsongs?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about the Birdsong finish, but the NP3 is one of the most durable available; the Rogard is a close second. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roguard is applied on the exterior, the NP3 on the internals. It is a very durable finish. I have done a few with both but the "Black-T" that Walter does, does scratch. It is no more durable than blueing as far as wear goes,but it is completely weatherproof. I had a client who dumped his in the salt water on a bear hunt. When he got back he asked me to take it apart and check for rust. The only thing that had any corrosion were the sling swivel studs; they had not been done.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will not find a more professional job than Walter does. I am not as careful as I need to be, but my Black-T is great. I can't speak for the other.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,
Did Kim send the FFL?
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not yet!

And by the way, I did not mean to put down Walters "Black-T", he does a wonderful job and well worth the miniscule price he charges.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Roguard is applied on the exterior, the NP3 on the internals.

NP3 is not just for the internals. I had Robar coat my barreled action and internals with NP3. NP3 is tougher, but Roguard is for those who absolutely must have black.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote