Find
Notify
Tools

Surplus Mausers
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of msheik
posted
Hello, I was wondering about getting a mauser to convert to 458 win mag, something lightweight and somewhat inexpensive to put together myself. I have a VZ 24 but am saving it for something special later. So, should I try to find another vz 24, or are there other Mausers that will work with this conversion?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Posts: 39 | Location: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: 06 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Somewhat inexpensive would be to find one of the older Mark Xs or FNs that are already in Magnum configuration. Probably much cheaper than converting a military mauser.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
Somewhat inexpensive would be to find one of the older Mark Xs or FNs that are already in Magnum configuration. Probably much cheaper than converting a military mauser.

I think a magnum FN will be hard to find/expensive. The Mark X would be a easy/cheap choice.

I have a Mark X in 7mm RM and it feeds 458s very well. It is waiting to have a 458 barrel screwed on and head-spaced.

Some will say that it would be cheaper to buy a Mark X that is already a 458. They are correct unless you want to do any upgrades, such as sights, etc. Then it might be cheaper to build one.

The Mark X 458WM in factory trim is pretty light for a 458.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
ut this in the classifieds some time back but I don't think anyone was interested. This outfit had a whole rack of VZ-24's that had been "Arsenal Refurbished". No crests and in complete military configuration. They were asking $225.00 for them.

Jensen Arms
285E East 29th St
Loveland, CO 80537

970-663-5994

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote