New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re-barrelling a WSM
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Let's assume I bought a some sort of Winchester WSM rifle. Let's assume I didn't like it. What are my options on re-barrelling without modifications to the action?

I know this would be a crazy way to get into a gun, but I'm always thinking ahead and if I wanted to switch to another cartridge I wouldn't want to be limited. I know it is a short action and I'm sure the bolt face is opened up some for the larger diameter case of the WSM's. Off the top of my head I can't think of much that might fit except for maybe a .284 Win or some of the other short magnum type cartridges.

Posts: 317 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The alternatives might be any of the Remington short, fats or possibly the 350 or 6.5 Rem Mags. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
As ramrod suggested, cheapest alteration is likely sale and another purchase.

However, if it is a sort of action easily used as the basis for a switch-barrel rifle, a more fun option might be barreling for a a WSM-based wildcat, such as a .35, 9.3, .375, .401, or .416 WSM.

Alberta Canuck

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote