New
Find
Notify
Tools

siamese 50 alaskan "help"
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gent's, has anyone out there know of a smithy who got a siamese mauser to feel well for the 50 alaskan? I am having one built and the gunsmith is have a hell of a time getting it to feed "reliably". I am comming here first because of the vast amount of knowledge that visits this site. So! any help you could provide would be very much appreciated. I will pass on any tips to my smithy.

Posts: 81 | Location: whidbey island | Registered: 15 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You need a strong spring to lift the heavy bullets. The original spring was lame and I broke it. I replaced it with an 03A3 spring. For the 45-70 I had to open the feed rails equally on each side to allow the rim to pass through.
That was about .605 with the 45-70. The 50-110 has a similar size rim.

The other thing to help them feed the THICK rims. Chamfer the bottom of the extractor hook.
I had to machine about .005 off of my bolt face to get rid of pitting. Then I had to thin the extractor from the back side until the rims would ride up under the extractor. The thick rims take up a lot of space when riding up at an angle and the extractor needs to move forward or have a good bit of clearance behind it.

Many Siamese extractors are sloppy so you might have to tighten it up to maintain control of the cases. My extractor was tight and I had to spring it a little to permit the brass to ride up properly.

Think a lot, try sample rounds a lot, cut little. In the end I cut very little metal - less than .005 on the receiver rails.
I cut a bit more on the extractor.

I am not a gunsmith but I did this job with little problem when I was about 22.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kind of hard to see here. I will try to find some better pics when I get home. The last one I did I made a new follower then when working the feeding I found that dishing it made it feed the way it should. I think I have more pics of the follower only on the PC at home.
Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks gentlmen. I appreciate the info. I will pass this along. If you could send more pictures i would appreciate it. You can e-mail them to (derfssor@hotmail.com or gscott.bailey@gmail.com) Again thanks.

Posts: 81 | Location: whidbey island | Registered: 15 March 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a Siamese Mauser I'm working on for a client. I've been able to convert it to .50-110.
I'm going to be leaving town in a few minutes. I'll get you some pictures when I get back next week.

Steven Durren
Professional Member, ACCG