New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win 70 bolt question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Taking out the bolt of my 375H&H I noticed an obvious breakage.The little "channel" that the rail runs in is chipped off on the one side.Circled in the picture.

I have 50+/- rounds through it and just noticed it.There still seems to be enough material for the rail to sit in securely.

My question is if it is a safety concern, what to do about it and to educate me in the correct terminology

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't fire that gun again. Look on the net for the Winchester repair facility in your state and contact them as what to do.

From the pictures I am not sure what happened. It could have been an inclusion that broke out or the bolt could be too hard. The bolt body is made from bar stock and the investment cast bolt handle is copper brazed onto the body and then ground. I have been in Winchesters outsource for the brazing operation and seen the shop boxes of rough assembled bodies and handles with the copper ring. They just put them in the oven and heat the assembly up til the brazing is done.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Initially I was concerned.....until I pulled one of my M-70s out to look at that bolt......and guess what?????

There's a thin sliver of metal there that rides the underside of the right feed rail.....it's very thin and could be easily broken as heat treating will make those thin sections somewhat brittle. The piece could have broken off at even dropping the bolt on a wooden floor.....

Personally it seems to be there to assist as an antibind feature.....and I doubt seriously if it's a safety concern.

If the bolt feeds and extracts well.....and generally functions well.....I wouldn't be concerned.

However you may wish to return it to Winchester.....it's up to you.

here's mine for comparison

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Savage99 on this one, Your Anti-bind lug is broken off. You want it on a 375 H&H especially since it helps keep the bolt from binding when you are working it fast. Contact USRAC and make them replace it.........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great picture!I had the hardest time trying to get a close up.Looked around for a comparative picture as I didn't know what broke off and what it used to look like.

I thought about e-mailing the pictures to USRAC but they don't have a e-mail adress listed on their website, only a 1800 # and tried AR before having to struggle to explain to someone over the phone what I were talking about.
AR came through again.

Thank you.