THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Winchester Post-64 Model 70 "Long Action" Factory Stock Inletting

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Post-64 Model 70 "Long Action" Factory Stock Inletting
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted
I would be grateful for some information on Winchester post-64 Model 70 "long action" factory stock inletting.

Note that for this discussion, we can put aside the issues of inletting for two versus one piece floor plate and trigger guard and inletting for the barrel.

The question I have relates to factory "long action" magazine box and bottom metal inletting. Is it all the same?

Put another way, would the magazine box and bottom metal for a truly long cartridge, like a .300 RUM, fit in a stock that was originally inlet for a shorter "long action" cartridge, such as a .270 Win. or .30-06?

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13642 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having owned one pre-64 "Magnum" action and a couple of the regular pre-64 actions in the past, I seem to recall that they were both the exact some size. I don't think they were ever chambered for .300 RUM.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, lindy2, but my question concerns factory inletting for post-64 long actions.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
I believe so as to the original question.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you say Post 64 "Long Action" the confusion is just beginning. All pre 64's, and all the early push feeds were only made in one length, called standard length. They pre's and the post's were slightly different from one another, but for both the actions were all the same no matter the caliber. Things changed when they made the first short push feeds around 1986?? If you are speaking of the standard length push feeds, I have 2 standard length push feed stocks I am peddling on fleabay right now. The mag cutout measures 4-1/16" if that helps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes.

As far as the G-series Classics are concerned, the RUM/H&H/STW stocks are the same as regular "long" stocks.

Posts: 553 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kendog:
When you say Post 64 "Long Action" the confusion is just beginning. All pre 64's, and all the early push feeds were only made in one length, called standard length. They pre's and the post's were slightly different from one another, but for both the actions were all the same no matter the caliber. Things changed when they made the first short push feeds around 1986?? If you are speaking of the standard length push feeds, I have 2 standard length push feed stocks I am peddling on fleabay right now. The mag cutout measures 4-1/16" if that helps.

I do not think the OP is asking about PF 70s.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458PHCAPSTICK
posted Hide Post
I have a long action stock that is suppose to fit any winchester long action includeing any safari express rifles ,it has been inletted for a one piece bottom metal,recoil lugs,sling swivels,it does not have a cheek piece and is a right hand bolt and custom shop from the old plant.
I have thought about useing it on a 375H&H barreled action but the barrel channel will need alot of opening up.
Does your stock look like mine as described?
It is rated for a 300rum.

Posts: 216 | Registered: 28 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458PHCAPSTICK
posted Hide Post
My stock has 7 5/8 stock bolt placeing and is suppose to be rated to fit actions from 257 roberts to 458winmag. Includeing 300 rum.Just will need opening up for larger calibers.The barrel chanel looks like a 270 barrel would fit with lest amount of fitting.
Hope this helps.

Posts: 216 | Registered: 28 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
All long post 64 receivers are the same length. Not talking about the short and super short. So in the OPs example, his 270 is the same as a 375 H&H. Mag boxes are the same too; they have sheet metal spacers spot welded at the rear for the shorter cartridges; remove these. And cut your bolt stop off to allow the bolt to come back farther. Easy to do.
Mag box will require replacement, or do as I do and mill out the triangular slots for the wider shoulders. Tweaking the box lips might be necessary; the rounds still feed off the receiver rails despite what some think. But the mag box lips are curved for different rounds.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your help. With your help (especially dpcd's help) and other help (including taking actual measurements), I have been able to confirm that all post-64 CRF long action factory stocks have the same inletting for the magazine box. Thanks, again.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
... Tweaking the box lips might be necessary; the rounds still feed off the receiver rails despite what some think. But the mag box lips are curved for different rounds.

This is very important. Also somewhat counter-intuitive. After modding the box to fit the fatter rounds, you will want to adjust the lips to push the feeding round to the center of the magazine well in the receiver at the point the base of the ctg is at the release points. LAST resort is to mill the feed rails. If you have to, pattern them after a factory magnum action. Not sure if Win rails are different, but Remington's sure are so it would be prudent to check.
Wyatts makes a Win 70 box for mag rounds.