New
Find
Notify
Tools

Micro planes for english walnut
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got a hard chunk of english walnut that has been rough shaped for a Zischange Borchardt I'm making. I now need to take off quite a bit of wood to reach the final form. I'm wondering if the new Microplanes would be any good for this.

The Zischange stock is huge perch-bellied Schuetzen and I need to take about 0.1-0.125" off most surfaces (I said tis was rough). So, this is about an acre of wood that I need to reduce do dust. I have draw knives, scrapers, small planes, and so forth, but thought these microplanes might be handy for some of the work.

Anyone have any experience with these?
Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both the fine and course microplanes and they will work very well IF you go with the grain. They tend to do more tear out if you go across or against, just like any "plane". Be careful on the flats because if you are like me, I tend to put more pressure in the middle of the stroke and it will wallow out the middle quickly. I use mine just like a file or rasp otherwise.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know a violin maker that was telling me that low angle planes,(the ones he mentioned were of course very high dollar, but I think that even Stanley makes them) will cut across the grain if you need to.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brent, this is what I am talking about.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Angle grinder and 36 grit wheel, if you need to make dust in a hurry, it's your huckleberry.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Brent: I use the and they are good for that rtough work, I also use a die grinder with a drum sander to get close and do some final shaping.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can call those whatever pleases you, but they are still rasps.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
I would suggest a vixen file. It can be used to really "hog" out the wood or it can shave of thin slices like a plane. The files are extremely thick and have long teeth that curve backwards.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Soverns:
I would suggest a vixen file. It can be used to really "hog" out the wood or it can shave of thin slices like a plane. The files are extremely thick and have long teeth that curve backwards.

Right on, Bill.

I have two of those files and depending on the pressure you apply they can do pretty much do whatever work you need them to...roughing out or finishing up.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a "round large" Microplane and I used it around the comb on the last stock nicely. I'd probably get out the Stanley 151 and maybe some courser files and med rasps. I have a ripper of an old rasp that I used back in my decoy days which removes wood in a hurry but leaves grooves to cleanup. The Nicholson pattern maker rasp would be nice here as well. I have a course Simonds Nucut file that I really like for smoothing up. I've read someone else on here has one too they like.
JP

Posts: 330 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got a flyer from Woodcraft that said that they are going to start carrying the Auriou rasps. I had seen them earlier here:

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mv...=/extra/AU-Info.html

They come in a lot more different shapes and grains than the 2 that Nicholson carries. They seem to me to be something that might be well worth investing in, it would be like buying a curved fine grain Nicholson cabinetmakers rasp.
I have tried the Microplanes and haven't really used them much, maybe they are good in thier place, but I wish I would have bought some of the Auriou rasps with the money I spent on the Micro-planes................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow DJ, I bet those different ones would come in hand, wish I had one of the thumb/leaf shaped ones. I can see where this "fun stuff" can get real expensive!

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote