New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help please! No leade left
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have recently had to replace the barrel on my .270 win. with a Brno barrel. unfortunately the leade on this barrel is nil. With the bullets seated to the same depth as the start of the shoulder, (the full length of the neck) the lands are making contact with the bullet. The contact is slight, but there is contact.

The primers (Powder load is in the mid range recommended) are flattening out, but not excessively, and the pin strike does not pierce the primer. Extraction is also not in the least sticky.

Accuracy is so so, slightly over MOA, but I can live with it for a while, I earn my living with this rifle, and as it may take a while for my gunsmith to access a reamer, my question is:
what can I damage by using this setup as is for the foreseeable future?

Thank you,

Mac

Posts: 73 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 10 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
What is the Cartridge Over All Length (C.0.A.L.) of your load? Why not just load the bullet a little deeper?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Let's see... the base of your bullet flush with the base of the neck, primers still okay, no sticky case, no primer piercing, and slightly over MOA accuracy? Check bedding and crown. Big Grin

Seriously, what is the problem?

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
or...why dont you drop say .3 of a grain, seat the bullets, 5/1000 deeper and se how the accuracy is..

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your input, COAL is currently 3.16", if I seat deeper, I will start exposing the case mouth via the ogive, I should have asked the question differently, by asking if I could cause uneven throat wear, and could the pressure possibly hasten the onset of fatigue on the case neck or shoulder?, sorry.

I am reasonably happy with the accuracy for now, when the leade is reamed I will take the time to develop a good load, for now, any Jackal within 3oo yds is mine.

Thanks again for the input,

Mac

Posts: 73 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 10 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gman21:
I should have asked the question differently, by asking if I could cause uneven throat wear, and could the pressure possibly hasten the onset of fatigue on the case neck or shoulder?

No more so than would occur normally. A lot of folks seat their bullets into the lands on purpose to help the bullet get a straight start. Particularly if the throat is a little sloppy. They adjust their powder charge accordingly.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, you really do answer quickly, OK, I will keep the Bullet as is, and adjust when reamed. Thanks again,

Mac

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That only requires light reaming with a throating reamer.

That can easily be done by HAND with the barrel still in the action.

I'd rather get a barrel back with too little throat, than not enough.

It's what a QA/QC inspector would call a "maximum material condition" the idea being that you have too much metal and taking a bit more off is always easier than putting some back on.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree, just needs to have the throat cut with a hand reamer. If you were close to me, I would do it for you in a few minutes.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Allan & Terry, thanks for the advice, sound like I don't really have a problem other than sourcing a throat reamer here in the RSA, but at least my gunsmith is on the ball, and has had one flown in from the USA

Thanks again,

Mac

one of us
posted Hide Post
If it does not work out, let me know and I'll bring mine along to RSA when I come over in April.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not touch a thing.
In 400 rounds or so you bullet will not be touching anyway. There is nothing wrong with seating the bullet deeper in the case.
A different bullet with a more pointed ogive will give you a longer OAL without touching the leade.

There is zero chance of damage as long as your powder charge is not excessive - which always applies.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
There is nothing wrong with seating the bullet deeper in the case.

SR, Thanks for your post, I have been led to believe that seating the bullet past the neck / shoulder junction is a serious No No, is this not the case, or were you only referring to my current seating depth?

I would very much like to keep using my current choice of bullet, Hornady V-Max, for a number of reasons, I have recovered Jackal from hits where a bullet of stronger construction would have caused only a flesh wound, or at least allowed the animal to exit the vicinity. Also, they are freely available here in the RSA, and are reasonably cheap. I also know the trajectory very well, and can comfortably take 350 yard shots at night. (Lots of practice)

Terry, let me know when you come to the RSA, and give me a call anyway, all my details are in my profile, PM me if you like.

Thanks'

Mac

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been led to believe that seating the bullet past the neck / shoulder junction is a serious No No, is this not the case

Only if case capacity is your goal.

Seating a bullet beyond the neck/shoulder junction is common place. especially when using the long boat tails. It's not a preferred practice when reaching for velocity, but sometimes it is necessary. Your case for instance, or, when a super long bullet is used in a gun with a standard length throat. And there's no problem doing so as long as you adjust the powder charge for the reduced capacity.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would not touch a thing.
In 400 rounds or so you bullet will not be touching anyway. There is nothing wrong with seating the bullet deeper in the case.
A different bullet with a more pointed ogive will give you a longer OAL without touching the leade.
There is zero chance of damage as long as your powder charge is not excessive - which always applies.

Absolutely my thought. Heck if you want a little more jump use a lighter bullet--just kidding, but that would do it. I would just shoot it, and depending on how rough the throat is, it may just be the ticket to get that barrel shooting great!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok, I'm in for a disagreement. Trying to "shoot it in" will not improve groups.

The throat will get burnt and rough and groups will suffer.

Do it right the first time with a throater..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Terry Blauwkamp:
Ok, I'm in for a disagreement. Trying to "shoot it in" will not improve groups.

The throat will get burnt and rough and groups will suffer.

Do it right the first time with a throater..

How are 400 rounds not going to burn still longer it after it is throated?

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
There is nothing wrong with seating the bullet deeper in the case.

SR, Thanks for your post, I have been led to believe that seating the bullet past the neck / shoulder junction is a serious No No, is this not the case, or were you only referring to my current seating depth?

I would very much like to keep using my current choice of bullet, Hornady V-Max, for a number of reasons, I have recovered Jackal from hits where a bullet of stronger construction would have caused only a flesh wound, or at least allowed the animal to exit the vicinity. Also, they are freely available here in the RSA, and are reasonably cheap. I also know the trajectory very well, and can comfortably take 350 yard shots at night. (Lots of practice)

Terry, let me know when you come to the RSA, and give me a call anyway, all my details are in my profile, PM me if you like.

Thanks'

Mac

Many cartridges have only a one caliber long neck. Some bullets have a nearly one caliber long boat tail. If you get a decent grip on the bullet with the neck you have to seat the bullet below the neck shoulder junction.