New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Mauser ejector problem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I found the same thing when I picked up a Whiteworth a few months back . I had a VZ24 on hand to compare it with , and noticed that the VZ 's ejector was slightly longer than the Whiteworth , so I swapped them . This got me very positive ejection , but it dings the case mouths quite a bit if you run the bolt fast .

My opinion , along with the longer ejector , the left rear reciever ring should be opened up some to provide more clearance for the long H&H cases . The distance between the bridges appears near identical to the military action........

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a Whitworth Mauser in 375 H&H cal. It was rechambered to 375 Weatherby cal when I got it, but I had it rebarreled to the original H&H chambering. When i shot this gun for the first time after getting it back from the 'smith, I discovered it would not eject the empties positively. Some of them would not clear the action, even when the bolt was operated rather sharply. The ejector does not look like it has been modified of damaged. Anyone have any experience with the Whitworths, or other standard length Mausers in 375 H&H cal?

posted Hide Post
Take a look at the magazinefollower, it is possible it is not rising high enough, with bad ejection as a result.
I have had that problem, hope this can be of any help!
Hugh.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It may be that the ejector was shortened to allow the Wby empties to clear the front receiver ring. What it sounds like is the empties are hitting the right side of the rear bridge and bouncing back into the receiver. Try replacing the ejector to see if that is the problem.

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will second that last comment. DId not want to suggest it until he tried the new ejector.

Jim

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
the "LEFT" rear receiver ring? It looks like the case is hitting the rear receiver ring on the RIGHT as the ejector tries to push it out.

I thought that the Weatherby case length was the same as the H&H? The ejector doesn't LOOK like it's been modified, it just barely clears the clearance notch in the receiver. I don't think I could put a longer ejector in this gun unless I cut the clearance slot longer in the receiver.

BTW, I did have the magazine follower replaced with a stock military one that locks the bolt open when it's empty. I sure wouldn't guess that it would affect the ejection tho. It should eject even with no follower shouldn't it? I think I can get the original followere back from the gunsmith that did the work.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You might check your extractor. If isn't holding the case against the bolt face as it it being pulled clear of the chamber and receiver bridge, you'll have failures to properly eject the fired case. Good luck.

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem with a 375 JRS Mag. It was the extractor.
Doug

Posts: 229 | Location: Asheville, NC USA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Malmute..........you are correct , I meant to say the RIGHT side .

My original ejector also barely protruded thru the bolt head . The one swapped out of the VZ 24 is not a whole lot longer , but it makes a big difference.....ejection is now very positive.......

The slot in my gun is plenty long enough to put in a somewhat longer ejector. I'd get ahold of one out of a surplus mauser and try it . I'll bet it works and would be a cheap fix .

The Weatherby case is slightly longer , but I doubt your ejector has been modified ; it sounds about the same as what came with my gun .

I don't think the follower would affect ejection , and based on my experience with my gun I doubt anything is at fault with the extractor .

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
watching the gun cycle, I dont think there is anything wrong with the extractor, the shell seems to hit the right rear receiver ring at about 1:00 or 2:00 )viewed from the rear). A longer ejector would likely kick the shell out before it hits the receiver ring from the looks of it. I may have to open up the clearance slot in the receiver, but I guess that isn't that big of a deal to do. I think that the longer ejector would cause interference from the bullet on a loaded round on the front of the reciever, but it it already does interfere. I may have to clearance this also. I may also give some breating room to the rear reciever ring where the shell hits.

Thanks for the input guys.