Find
Notify
Tools

Rit Dye Powder for Coloring Epoxy
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted
Has anyone used the powdered Rit Dye for coloring epoxy while glass bedding? I need something to dye the epoxy brown, but don't want to compromise the strenght of ht epoxy nor pay more in shipping than I did for the dye. This stuff I can pick up locally.

Also, if anyone needs a bunch of glass bed, Midway has the 1 pound jars of Miles Gilbert "Bedrock" on sale for $5 a piece.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Analine dyes are not something to get too cozy with, but powder is available in all colors. I'd think that might be the best bet

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Rit dye also contains salt. Beware of that.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of xs headspace
posted Hide Post
Brownells dye for their epoxy is really concentrated. I bought a 1 oz(?) jar years ago and still use it. A dab the size of a paper matchhead will color enough to do a whole stock bedding, like 2-3 tablespoons of epoxy. Or go to a crafts shop and get brown pastel chalk/crayons, and grind some off on a file, mix int epoxy.

Hippie redneck geezer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not use walnut sanding dust to color the epoxy? After mixing it and adding the floc to the desired consistency (or after mixing the Acraglass Gel), drop a pinch of fine sanding dust in and stir it in. A tiny bit goes a long way, add it slowly until the shade you desire is reached. It won't compromise the strength of the epoxy, and an exact match can be attained. Easy peasy.

Posts: 332 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another for brownells dye works well.

Posts: 19581 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I think I'll try the wood shavings as I have a lot of extra stock wood to work with. I'd get the dye from brownells, but somehow the concept of paying more in shipping than in product bugs me. Guess I need to find some other stuff to bulk up the order.

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guess I need to find some other stuff to bulk up the order.

That should not be to hard to do.

Posts: 19581 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I would really like to see how this works. I was planning on the same idea for my 1905 Mannlicher schoenauer project (on hold until my shoulder surgery heals).

quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:
Thanks guys. I think I'll try the wood shavings as I have a lot of extra stock wood to work with. I'd get the dye from brownells, but somehow the concept of paying more in shipping than in product bugs me. Guess I need to find some other stuff to bulk up the order.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11208 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Naki, I'm going to try glass bedding this weekend so I'll let you know how it goes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Guess I need to find some other stuff to bulk up the order.

If your buying (and paying), I can help you out! Wink

Posts: 486 | Location: Moving | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dry pigments at artist supply houses work well and come in a lot of colours.

Posts: 351 | Location: Junee, NSW, Australia | Registered: 13 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
I would really like to see how this works. I was planning on the same idea for my 1905 Mannlicher schoenauer project (on hold until my shoulder surgery heals).

Hey Naki, hope that shoulder heals okay, you haven't been back in the old country after that Maneater of Baitardi by chance have you? rotflmo

Posts: 3907 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last time I was at the hardware store I bought a tube of Evercoat marine coloring agent. According to the package it is good for "polyester, epoxy resins & fillers, gel paste, and skid-no-more." The tube I have is black. Not sure how many other colors it comes in and I haven't tried it yet, but I would use something intended for epoxy over Rit dye or some other concoction. (although saw dust sounds like a good idea to get a match...)

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the powdered eye shadow would work?

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1088 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The dry artists pigment colors work well.
They are just extremely finely ground particles (dust). They won't show as individual pieces or spots in the epoxy.

They're not cheap, but can be bought locally at art supply and arts & crafts stores. So you can buy only what you want and need.

The 'earth brown' colors will just about do it.
They are all some form of natural iron oxide ore. No they won't rust!

Raw and Burnt Umber
Raw and Burnt Sienna

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For God's sake spend the money- whatta ya got, taffy in your pockets?

hilbily

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Eat your heart out! dancing

This may not be a man eater but I got to watch it for 15 minutes and took heaps of photots yesterday!

Full report to follow!

quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:

Hey Naki, hope that shoulder heals okay, you haven't been back in the old country after that Maneater of Baitardi by chance have you? rotflmo

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Damn Naki you're just evil posting that Mad

Perhaps another thread with some more photos and info? Can't get enough of this, will have to crack open another read of Jim or Kenneth.

Posts: 3907 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
http://forums.accuratereloadin...901045381#3901045381

Here is the report with photos!