New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fixing misaligned scope mounts - Mauser
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I had 9.3x64 barrel installed on a Husky 146 Mauser 98 action. I asked to have the charger hump removed and shaped like a FN commercial Mauser, and then drilled and tapped for two piece mounts.

I intended to use Leupold QR bases & rings. After mounting the scope I find that it is basically pointing left, and the scope windage adjustments aren't even close to correcting it.

I also tried std mounts and Burris signature rings. With max correction from the ring inserts, it is still too far off to correct with scope adjustments. I also had to move the rear base really far to the left in order to correct it.

Can this possibly be fixed by changing from 6-48 to 8-40 screws, and moving the center of the mount holes?

How else can it be fixed?

I'd really like to use the quick release bases as originally planned.

Thank you for any advice.

David

Posts: 301 | Location: Corvallis, Oregon | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
As bad as you are explaining I'm betting they will need to be plugged and completely re-done by somebody that has half a clue.

Good luck

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Without knowing exactly what you're dealing with for mounts, I'll offer the general approach I take, if the holes aren't too far off. Since you've put on a standard base, and been able to correct, I'd use that to measure. Put the scope in the middle of the reticle adjustment range, install in rings and center by moving the rear base centering screws. Measure how far off from center it moved.

If the amount it has been moved is small enough that you have room on the base, you can plug the holes in the mounts with tight fitting, correctly shaped pins locktighted in. Then, redrill new holes offset the right amount in the base, countersink for the screw heads, and re-install. Going to bigger 8-40 screws may help clean up the old holes.

If you want to go up to 8-40, you can gain just a bit by locktighting in screws in the receiver holes, redrilling offset by the size difference in screws, and re-tapping to the 8-40. Not as easy as it sounds, but possible. Your objective will be to not quite remove the old threads on the side opposite the offset, and remove all the locktighted plug with the new hole. Not a lot of margin there to make that work.

The difficulty with the 8-40 is that it's drill size is .140, and the major thread dia of the 6-48 is about .138, so the redrill will barely clean up the old threads without an offset. When you offset, you have buggered threads opposite the side you offset to, where you don't quite clean up the old threads. If you're careful, you can live with that, but you can't offset much and make it work.

As Mr Thorn said, the most probable fix is to plug and redrill the bridge. Luckily, the rear bridge hardening is not relevant to the safety of the action, so welding them up and redrilling is a viable option.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I sent you a PM on this topic. TIG weld.

Posts: 17292 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your input,

ssdave, good point - if I do not use any inserts for correction, and set the scope to the middle of the windage, I really have top crank the back scope base windage adjustment so the back ring is very far to the left. Probably more than the hole diameter.

Tom - I will reply to your PM.

David

Posts: 301 | Location: Corvallis, Oregon | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are set on the QR ring/mount system, I would suggest you go to a custom base made to fit the holes already in the receiver. The leupold bases are already drilled and they can't be moved so nest would be the custom bases and QR lever rings by Talley.

One other thing, how was the barrel installed, did it get done satisfactorly, did you trust the gent that did it? That could be part of the problem

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like one of my 98 Mauser sporters that Tom (dpcd) aka XYZ-LMNOP fixed GREAT!

Hip

Posts: 1893 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Didn't think of custom bases. thanks for the suggestion.

Barrel was a short chambered Lothar Walther barrel. Hopefully that's hard to mess up.
I have fired it a few times.

one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
I mapped out the hole locations and transferred them to a "blank" scope rail.

Screws are still crooked, but the rail is straight.

Get Close and Wack'em Hard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's what I was referring to

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If I had put the barrel on, tree things would not have occurred:
1: I would never use a lw barrel except for a pry bar.
2: I would never install a barrel not parallel to the receiver.
3: I would never drill a receiver crooked.
DPCD is: Dodge, Plymouth, Chrysler, DeSoto; a logo that is marked on many vehicle parts from my WW2 vehicle restorations. And on all the bolt heads too. Look at the avatar; it is from a package of Dodge 230 Engine head gaskets, with the V for Victory overlaying it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have tree things here in Alaska!

Posts: 160 | Location: Homer, AK | Registered: 11 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Crap!!! Tree things? Who on my staff wrote that mess? Heads will roll over that one, I guarantee you!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I KNOW THAT----YOU told me what it meant!
Just funnin' ya !

Hip

Posts: 1893 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I normally have Mausers surface ground square to the world and they look cleanner also, then hand fit the bases on my custom guns..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote