New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock checkering
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Who does checkering? Is it expensive? I am building a custom rifle and want it done right. I know two stock makers, but neither does checkering.

Posts: 200 | Location: Tin Top .Texas | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Ask Jim Kobe....he's great.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
I don't know if Chic does checkering on stocks built by someone else, but he would be my suggestion. I've seen some of his work and it is top flight.

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 71 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
<Oldmodel70>
posted

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the leads.

Posts: 200 | Location: Tin Top .Texas | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bubba,
If you know a stockmaker that does not do checkering then he is NOT a stockmaker and I'd run for my life...

I will checker a stock by hand for $300. up, depending on the pattern, but I know some ladies who use the machine tool and do as good a job as anyone for about $150 up...and they can do in 4 hours what it takes me 30 to 40 hours to complete.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
anyone know where I can send my wife, and my power checkering tool, to to get her educated in this?

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N4652E:
http://www.checkering.com/

I've used Sherry before, She does a fantastic job and very quick turn around.

Terry
 -

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
That's absolutely beautiful...congrats to Sherry.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Atkinson, the fellow I mentioned is a stockmaker, in my poor uneducated opinion. I have several of his stock jobs, and am more than satisified.His gunsmithing skills are excellent also.In my poor uneducated opinion.I have three rifles he has done for me over the past twenty years , one with a Bishop stock, and two with Richards, two with Shaw barrels and one with a A&B, and with all can cover a three shot group with a quarter at a hundred. Well, maybe a fifty cent piece.And I have double barrel shotgun with sidelocks that he restocked from scratch from a blank.Your answer to my inquiry about the checkering is appreciated. Your comments about MY stockmaker is not.
I checked out Sherry's website, and her work looks very good, as does the above posted picture.And her prices are more than reasonable.Thanks for the postings.

[ 12-01-2003, 18:33: Message edited by: Bubba John ]

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
seriously...

Chic, Ray, do you know of a school or a class she can take? We've got a dembart, and she wants to do this

jeffe

<allen day>
posted
Most top stockmakers only build complete stocks and don't checker on a piecemeal basis. Some of them did when they were getting established, but once they had a reputation and a full workload, they no longer did so.

As a sidenote, some of the checkering that was done by now-retired stockmakers was unreal. I always loved Al Biesen's recessed fluer-de-lis pattern and Earl Milliron's semi-recessed point pattern checkering better than those of any other craftsmen.

AD

posted Hide Post
I couldn't agree with you more AD. I know of at least two stockers who got such a workload that they had to farm out their checkering just to keep up.

-R

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe, she needs to learn to do it by hand first. At least that is what I was told by some people who had been doing it forever and it is the way I approached it when I got a MMC tool. One in particular was Bill Brownell who helped develop and was a partner in Dembart. You have to understand the ins and outs of hand checkering as you can not do all of it with a machine. The final clean up and some of the details often have to be done by hand. Dave Nolan at Trinidad State JC does a checkering class for the NRA summer gunsmithing program but it is for hand tools. I know of no one who teaches it using machine tools.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
An example of Roger Biesen's work

-

-

-

-

regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Terry, that is truly beautiful work that is true to Al's standard of style, execution, and excellence. Tasteful, simple, dramatic, deep, elegant, and yet very business-like. No fluffy, vulnerable, over-done detail work, and no delicate, fair-weather stock finish! My kind of rifle - work that you love to admire for hours on end at home, yet feel completely comfortable in hunting with.

I wish more of today's riflemakers followed the Biesen/Milliron philosophy of building fine rifles to HUNT with......

AD

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
Jeffe, she needs to learn to do it by hand first. At least that is what I was told by some people who had been doing it forever and it is the way I approached it when I got a MMC tool. One in particular was Bill Brownell who helped develop and was a partner in Dembart. You have to understand the ins and outs of hand checkering as you can not do all of it with a machine. The final clean up and some of the details often have to be done by hand. Dave Nolan at Trinidad State JC does a checkering class for the NRA summer gunsmithing program but it is for hand tools. I know of no one who teaches it using machine tools.

Chic,
thanks... I don't think she can hand checker, as she ahs mirrormovement in her hands... might have to give it a try... none the less, would be fun to take the class together this summer

jeffe

posted Hide Post
Ray Atkinson,

Are you a custom stockmaker and checkerer. If so I would be interested in looking at some of your work. Please send me a PM with links to some pictures. I have a stock that I need checkered. How much for one of your custom Fleur De Lis patterns. And let me know where I can send the stock too.

-R

[ 12-01-2003, 23:22: Message edited by: Ralph Smegma ]

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ralph Smegma:
Ray Atkinson,

Are you a custom stockmaker and checkerer. If so I would be interested in looking at some of your work. Please send me a PM with links to some pictures. I have a stock that I need checkered. How much for one of your custom Fleur De Lis patterns. And let me know where I can send the stock too.

-R

cost is always based on attitude....

jeffe

[ 12-02-2003, 00:11: Message edited by: jeffeosso ]

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
well, the wife is writing the instructor for stock checkering!!!

jeffe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe, good to hear. I took two metalsmithing classes from Mark Stratton last year and really ejoyed it. I lived in the dorms and couples were there also. Room was cheap, $65 a week and food at the Student union was very reasonable. Hope it works out for you. BTW, Raton, the NRA center is just 30 miles away and well worth the visit.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
she might be doing the checkering class... and I want to take the "custom rifle" class...

thanks Chic, we were just talking about were we were going to stay. it'll be fun, for sure

live and learn

jeffe

[ 12-02-2003, 06:22: Message edited by: jeffeosso ]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe, a warning, it gets very addictive there and they have great equipment. Unfortunately Mark is not going back. After 10 years of teaching there, they decided to get cheap on him and make him pay for a motel room and he told them to forget it. Same with Cliff LaBounty. They don't understand that the real magic of these classes is the quality of the instruction and the people doing the teaching. The head of the NRA school understands that but the college president does not. I do hope it continues with the same quality. Dave does a good job with the checkering class. I visited with him quite often when I was there. Also got to know a few Texas boys (retired) who were taking the class. Another nice feature of these weeks.