New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win.Fwt.
 Login/Join

<karl hoehne>
posted
To follow up on my earlier question, I am interested in rechambering one of my .30-06's to .338-06, either my Fwt. or a Model 81 BLR. Any thoughts as to which way is better? Am I better off rebarreling or re-boring. The chamber work seems straight forward, any suggestions as to a barrel considering I am dealing with a Canadian Dollar! Thanks-Karl

<Bill>
posted
I think this tyoe of conversion is more often done in more conventional firearms such as your winchester.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I'ld rebarrel the fwt. It is a reasonable straight rebarrel job, no feeding problems, etc. The .338-06 is a great cart. I've been shooting a rebarreled M77 for the last 7 or so years.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Karl, I doubt anyone would re-bore a Winchester featherweight barrel to .338"... entirely too thin for that bore.

Brad

<karl hoehne>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Brad:
Karl, I doubt anyone would re-bore a Winchester featherweight barrel to .338"... entirely too thin for that bore.

Brad

Brad-What barrel would you suggest, please bear in mind I am dealing with Canadian dollars and Canadian customs/gun laws. Would I be wise to look for a gunsmith that has a .338 barrel on hand? Thanks-Karl

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Hi Karl.

I'd look for a barrel that mic's no more than 1.500" at the shank and tapers from .620" to no more than .650" at the muzzle (22"). Custom barrel contours can heap weight on a WIN 70 faster than anything I know of. If you can find a smith that's willing to duplicate the standard factory .338 Win Mag barrel, that'd be the best bet by far. I built a 338-06 last year on a Stainless Model 70... I loved the round (got 2,700 fps with 225's in a 22" bbl.) but I got an overly heavy contour installed (ER Shaw #2.5)... the final weight was absurd. I sold it.

Hope any of this helps.

Brad

one of us
posted Hide Post
Karl, I agree with Brad on this one. Use your fwt for the project, and rebarreling would probably be the easiest way to go. However, there is a fellow in Saskatchewan (his name escapes me at the moment, CRAFT desease you know) that does rebores. You would have to measure the outside of your current barrels diameter to see if this is possible. in other words, will there be enough metal left after the rebore? If you're interested, the fellow in question advertises in the Canadian Access to Firearms newspaper. If you don't have a subscription email me and I'll look it up for you. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Karl,

I took a newer M70 LT and rebarreled with a 24" Lilja that basically matched the taper of the old barrel, very close to a #3 taper. (I will e mail you a shot of it in a few minutes) Anyway, it looks fine and shoots even better. I forget what twist I used, I think it was a 1-10". It stabilizees 210's to 250's fine. I would just rebarrel with a good tube and be done with it. What about taking down to the US and having it done here? Next trip south drop it off in Helena, at Capital Sports on Helena Avenue. They have two greaSmiths, they do a lot of good work. Or Dennis Earhart out in the Helena Valley.
Great caliber the .338-06 you will not be unhappy.

Frank N.

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote