New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope selection for Savage 99
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Got any ideas for a scope setup that would look good on a 99? In my opinion, not the best gun to put glass on, but I want to put one on my girlfriend's gun. I am leaning toward some kind of compact. Thanks for any input.

Posts: 193 | Location: Laramie, Wyoming | Registered: 01 October 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I've seen em scoped with everything, and I have put some compacts on mine... leupods and weavers, lower power, are the best
jeffe

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage 99 is a fine canidate for a Leupold 1.5 to 5x Vari-X III or even the 1 to 4x. I've used them both on fast handling rifles and have been very pleased.

Just the way I see it,,,,, [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 79 | Location: Colorado (out in the sticks) | Registered: 08 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Or if you want to save a little money find an older Weaver V-3, great little scopes and they look as good as glass can look on a 99. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Wyocowboyshooter:
Got any ideas for a scope setup that would look good on a 99? In my opinion, not the best gun to put glass on,

Why do you say it's not the best gun to put a scope on? Over the last century it's been just about the best gun to put a scope on!

Is yours drilled and tapped?

In any case once it is Weaver Tip Off's and a Leu VX-1 2-7 will be just fine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Didn't mean that it wasn't a good gun to scope. Just is an asthetic thing to me.....To each his own.

Posts: 193 | Location: Laramie, Wyoming | Registered: 01 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had a few different scopes on mine. The one that's on there now (and most likely will remain forever) is a Burris compact 6X. My rifle's chambered in .308 and I think it's a perfect combination.

Ryan

Posts: 425 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've got two older 99's, a 300 and a 250. Both have older Weaver K-3. The steel tube versions. They look right at home on the old rifles and they work great, tough as nails and glass is just fine.

Posts: 14 | Location: NC | Registered: 28 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For some reason, aesthetically I find that on levers, scopes without an objective bell look much better. And luckilly most levers do best with low powered scopes.

If your 99 is D&T'd for a scope than any modern low power should be fine.

If it's not D&T'd try to find a Stith setup that utilizes the rear tang and dovetail. Pretty sweet, all original. They come up on ebay often enough.

Rob

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine has a 2-7X Leupold.

I don't think that scope gets enough consiteration. You don't really need the 9X magnifiaction on the 3-9s that are so popular. You can use the scope instead of binoculars but, that is not a safe practice. 7X is more that you would ever need on a big game rifle. By going with the 2-7X you get a much more compact better loking rig. It is also less likely to get in the way. It works better in a scabbard, wether on a horse or a jeep.

[ 10-31-2003, 02:19: Message edited by: scot ]

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote