Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harris Talon Action - Scope mounts
 Login/Join

posted
Hello. I have a rifle that was built on a Harris Talon sporter action (standard action). I bought the action in 1995 and at the time it came with Conetrol mounts. I have considered changing the mounts at times but have no idea what "mounts" actually fit the action. I do not live near any gunsmiths to take the rifle to. I have done numerous internet searches but cannot find any information on the mounts appropriate for the action. The receiver is round on both side and does not appear elevated at the rear. I cannot advise on the screw spacings as a scope is currently mounted on the rifle.

I was hoping that someone has one or knows a bit about them to advise of a set of mounts that fit (Remington/Winchester/Savage or ?????).

Thank you for any reply.

Cheers
Steve

Posts: 22 | Location: Australia | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suspect that the McMillan-Harris Talon action has the rear holes spaced same as the front screw holes [.860"?]
...As one would see on a Borden action.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Here's a link to Harris, you might email them with your question.
http://harrisbarrelworks.com/

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think they use the same mount bases as the Remington 700's.

My McMillan is a short action, and it is not a Talon.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My McMillan Talon uses savage 110 bases.

posted Hide Post
Thanks very much for the responses. I am leaning towards the Savage bases as when I actually ordered the action in 1995 the company was McMillan but by the time the action was delivered they had changed to Harris and at some time in the middle were McMillan/Harris. I think Harris Barrel works might be a completely different company as the people who made these actions have long since folded, so I believe. I will have to remove the scope on it to check the screw spacing. Thanks again.

One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
I have a Harris talon rifle. It uses the same bases as a Rem 700

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tapper2, I have been told that before but the receiver on my action is round on both ends, they are on the same level and the screws holes are the same distance apart, like a Borden as mention earlier or hopefully a Savage action. I must have got a "transitional" action. It certainly had it's problems early in it's life.

One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
You use the same base front and back.

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Harris-McMillan Talon in 338/378. I purchased talley bases for it. Talley said they use 2 Remington 700 FRONT bases.

Posts: 251 | Location: Newport, WA | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote