New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need gunsmith for Winchester 70 pre 64
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking for a good gunsmith who has knowledge and experence with pre 64 Winchester Model 70's. I would like to have it rebarreled to .375 H&H and reinforcement pins placed in stock. Please provide input on who might help me with this project.

thank you in advance

RINO

Posts: 282 | Location: Florida | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Roger Ferrell. He posts here as rogersgunworks. He's just South of Atlanta and does very good work. I think judgeg would second the recommendation.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
RINO

Since no one else has spoken up I’ll give my plug for David Christman. He’s top notch but for that kind of work it my take a little while. Is it a mag bolt face?

David Christman
216 Rundell Loop rd.
Delhi LA.
(318) 878-1395

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mrfudd or anyone else, do you have a contact for Roger Ferrell, GA is close to me, i live in FL.

Bluetick, thanks for the contact info, i have always been told it should take a good gunsmith a while to do a gun because that means he has lots of other work he is doing so he is used frequently.

I purchased this gun very cheap at a gun show. It is a custom gun, custom stock and the action has been opened up to a mag bolt face. It still wears the original .270 barrel but it is some kind of belted mag., unkown what caliber it is, a wildcat or weatherby, all i know is that is is still in the .270 bore. after the .270 win it has been stamped Magnum and has a gunsmiths name under the magnum stamp.

thanks for the input.

RINO

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I found this with a search -- I think his address may have been posted as well but would have to search again to see:

quote:
Originally posted by GAHUNTER:
Joe,

Roger's phone number is (770)460-0533. I know that there are a lot of good gunsmiths around, but he's the best we have in this area.

But don't take my word for it, ask JudgeG and Mbogo375. They're the ones who turned me on to Roger.

Good luck with your project.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
I do not know this man man but i was told he works on only Mod 70's. His name is Ken Hinez and he lives in San Angelo, Texas. Jerry said he had a Mod70 from hin that was beautiful.
I am only passing on what I was TOLD. Mabey other members may have 1st hand info.
Gene

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
THere is a master smith at garys gun shop in vidor texas that does very fine work named ken lloyd his prices are unbeatable for the level of work he produces 409-769-8241

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark Penrod is a expert on Model 70s is one of the best in business. Give hin a call
Penrod Precision
312 East Colledge Ave.
North Manchester, IN 46962-1141

260-982-8385

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RINO
Read the post on this form
" Making of a Rifle"
You will learn about Mark Penrod

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input, Elmer Fud i have not been able to find that link.

RINO

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RINO:
Thanks for all the input, Elmer Fud i have not been able to find that link.

Is this the one?

The Making of a Rifle

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charles_Helm & RHINO
That is the correct one! You half to read the entire post to get the input on Mark Penrod. He is a top notch Model 70 gunsmith.