Find
Notify
Tools

Proper twist and groove?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted
I recently came across an old barrel in my bin of goodies past. It is an uninstalled Hart barrel from the late sixties, threaded for Remington. It is a bull(ish) barrel (straight taper), that may have been a Palma profile cut down to 24" and a target crown cut. It is a 4 groove 1:12 .30 cal barrel.

Does anyone KNOW the M-40 barrel specs, and does this conform to those? I have a customer that might be looking to build a replica, but true to the original. I have a 1970 .243 barreled action with a toasty barrel and I know where I can get a fairly accurate stock, but if I already own the barrel, that would be sweet.

Hair, not Air!
Rob Martin

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
I built an M-24 replica for an Army Sniper. The M-24 twist is 1-10 I'm pretty sure. At least that is what he said he wanted. It's not a palma type barrel, more like a #5 varmint barrel. I'm just going by what he wanted. I haven't actually owned one. Remingtom would probably tell you if you ask......Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ed Brown make M-24 replica sniper rifles, throw them an email, they may give you the specs you need.

Cheers.
tu2

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The m24 rifle has/had a 5R pattern 1-11.25" twist. Mike Rock told me at one time he made the first 600 barrels for those rifles and then helped Remington develop the button for buttoning the same rifling pattern and twist...That is according to Mike, but I do know all the later ones I ever looked at were 5R pattern. Don't think I ever bothered to measure the twist. The M40 was 1-12 twist but with a conventional 6 groove barrel. I would just build it if it's the proper profile...chances are it will shoot just as well.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1175 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
M24 specs don't interest me, they weren't around when this guy was a Marine Sniper in 68 and 69. I showed him a pic of a rifle that was used to advertise the Redfield replica of the original m40 scope and he said that was exactly what he was looking for. I have everything, but I want the exact barrel on that rifle that it should have as a tribute to that man and all who have carried one like it. Close enough don't cut it with me on this sort of build.

Hair, not Air!
Rob Martin

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well then that would be a 6 groove 1-12 twist barrel.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M40_rifle

Matt

one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
Matt, I believe you are correct, sir. If I had a cookie, it would be yours! Email just sent off to Hart to see if they will match the original M40 barrel.

I hate these kind of builds. No license for embellishment, nada. He wants exactly what he carried in 'nam all those years ago. I'm all for a good tribute, but they get a bit tedious after a bit. Sorry to vent.

Now I gotta figure out what to do with a forty plus year old Hart straight taper 4gr 1:12" barrel.

Hair, not Air!
Rob Martin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well it will be a shooter regardless. A friend of mine makes a 6 groove .308 barrel and those barrels shoot incredibly well. Good luck with your project, it sounds very worthwhile IMO.

Matt

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since all Hart barrels are stainless steel one wonders why they coated that barrel unless to kill the reflection, and I guess that makes since on a sniper rifle? So my question is what is the finish on the barrel.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
I was wondering the same. The two M40's I have had in hand both had Parkerized barrels and actions. One had a parked bottom metal and one had aluminum painted black, as issued just prior to the A1 conversions in the later '70s. The original M40's were Hart, but definitely steel if Parked. I am waiting on a reply to my email to see what they will say about that.

Hair, not Air!
Rob Martin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brux barrels can make you a 6 groove, 12 twist barrel in relatively short order. If you just call and order a barrel they will put you in line with all the 4 groove barrels they make, you have to ask for a 6 groove. Also Douglas is a consideration if you want a button rifled barrel. I think all of theirs are 6 groove. Delivery is a couple of weeks. I'm not sure what the exact taper was but it seems like it was a standard #6 or something close to that.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 831 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.samplelist.com/Badg...ngs-DEMO-P72954.aspx

Just ran across this while looking for a good scope and thought of this thread. It's a replica of the M40 scope base and rings you might want to look at.

Matt

one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
Nice, thanx. I'm using original Redfield base and rings from the 60's, marked correctly (the originals were off the shelf commercial ones), but I am probably going to use B.O. bottom metal unless I can find steel xm-40 bottom metal from that era (Remmy factory switched to Aluminum).

Heard back from Hart. They will cut the proper berrel to original specs, but she wrote that they have always worked in Stainless. I have fondled many an original wood stocked M40 and every one I remember before they switched barrel makers in the mid 70's had a Parked barrel. Any clue on how to Parkerize stainless and make it look just the same as the carbon steel action it will be screwed into? Gonna hate to have to duracoat this puppy just to get the right look.

Hair, not Air!
Rob Martin