New
Find
Notify
Tools

rem. 700 bolt questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
after installing a jewel trigger in my 700 7mag, i am looking at replacing the firing pin assembly w/another system and have a few questions.
is it a reccommended improvement? david tubb system the way to go?
i see several bolt dissambly tools such as the KLEINENDORST BOLT DISASSEMBLY TOOL and a few others that are available.
any suggestions/tips are appreciated.
THANKS!

Posts: 1546 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Those aftermarket strikers come very highly recommended by the makers, and many of those who've bought them.

I made my own disassembly tool from a piece of angle iron, two small scraps of steel and a 3/8" bolt, but if you don't have a welder you probably should buy one of the tools.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john c.:
after installing a jewel trigger in my 700 7mag, i am looking at replacing the firing pin assembly w/another system and have a few questions.
is it a reccommended improvement? david tubb system the way to go?
i see several bolt dissambly tools such as the KLEINENDORST BOLT DISASSEMBLY TOOL and a few others that are available.
any suggestions/tips are appreciated.
THANKS!

It may help David Tubb at the national matches but I think for you rifle, a waste of time and money, Just MHO

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
This is a simple M700 dissambly tool that I made. Works quite well. The shoulder on the firing pin bottoms out as the assembly is screwed into the tool exposing the cross pin in the cocking piece for takedown.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That'll work , slick !

Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !

Posts: 104 | Location: Bristol , VT | Registered: 12 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Doug

nice tool. Is it Aluminum.

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lighten & Time the OEM Remington firing pin.

The aftermarket aluminum shank firing pins will break.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 429 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
Doug

nice tool. Is it Aluminum.

Stainless steel. I detest aluminum.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dans and jim....thanks. gonna rethink this mod.
others...thanks for the pics etc.
maybe will get a bolt disassembly tool so i can disassemble and clean and call it good.

Posts: 1546 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ok, have decided that all i want to do bolt-wise is be able to disassemble it and clean/lube it. for now. there are several listed in the brownells catalog. can one of you gurus please reccommend one? none of them are out of my price range but maybe theres one you prefer? THANKS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Kleinendorst is the way to go to get the stiker assembly out of the bolt body. Well made, easy to use. Their striker disassmbley tool is good too, if you need to go that far.

As far as replacing your firing pin/striker with lighter parts, spend the money on ammunition or components. your shooting will improve much more that buying the parts.

Posts: 100 | Location: Washington, The State | Registered: 13 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
If all you want to do is disassemble to lube, use a penny and the edge of a workbench or vice; doesn't cost a thing 'cause you can reuse the penny.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
now THAT i will try. plus, it makes a penny actually WORTH a penny.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Organ:
The Kleinendorst is the way to go to get the stiker assembly out of the bolt body. Well made, easy to use. Their striker disassmbley tool is good too, if you need to go that far.

As far as replacing your firing pin/striker with lighter parts, spend the money on ammunition or components. your shooting will improve much more that buying the parts.

im convinced. thanks.