New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser type B sporter questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone have one in original configuration? Is the butt of the stock cut off flat, or is it curved?

What is the buttplate like? Is the Brownell's repro a decent imitation or junk?

I also need to know about the rear sling swivel; a pic would be fantastic. I see NECG has some fixed types, I'm wondering if they would work.

Thanks for any help,
Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Here's an original Type B butt, which has a slight curvature:

Here's the buttplate:

Here's a repro buttplate made by Vintage Industries, 407-331-1324, if they are still in business. May be the same sold by Brownell's. Quality is not as good as originals but an original would be pretty hard to find altho seems like I saw one on ebay about 6 months ago:

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fla3006,

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping it was flat, as it appeared to be from some of the pics in the Oberndorf book. Curved is a lot more work and time to fit.

I may go with a red rubber pad, just because it would be easier and to preserve length of pull. I have seen a lot of pics of type Bs with rubber recoil pads - was this a factory option perhaps? I would feel even less bad about doing that if it was. It would be a big step up from a white line pad.

Interesting to see the rear swivel in that pic too - the one currently on the gun is round / cylindrical (not ball shaped) with a flat top - just like the one in your picture, except missing the sling loop. Maybe it is original to the gun, but broken?

Thanks for the pics,
Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Could I ask one more favor? A full view of the rifle so I can gauge the angle of the cut on the butt better? My conscience nags me already, I will probably do the curved buttplate although I don't really have the time right now...

todd

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
This is the best pic I could get, my camera is better on closeups. You can probably get a better idea of proportionality from Jon Speed's book.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Todd, did you and Fritz get together on that Mauser he had? I haven't talked with him for a couple days.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt,

We did. He is one heck of a nice guy, I'm glad to make his acquaintance. Thanks again for arranging it.

I hear you've also joined the 9.3 club?

Todd