Find
Notify
Tools

M70 416 - Shoot First Bed Later?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted
I picked up a Model 70 Classic Super Express .416 Rem Mag. Anyone think the factory bedding is bad enough that even with the factory crossbolts I am risking stock damage if I shoot it before I have it properly bedded? Two boxes of Remington Green Box 400 grain round-nosed Barnes solids came with it and I probably should give it a whirl before too long.

Thanks.

Oops -- too much caffeine and not enough sleep. I was going to put this in Big Bores...

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would shoot mine first before I did any thing more.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine broke the stock within the first six shots. Basically drove an area of the wood between the action lug and the mag well rearward about a sixteenth of an inch.

I thought I could shoot it a few times before I bedded it properly. I was wrong.

That factory glue gun bedding isn't worth anything.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I would bed it first. The factory's idea of bedding is a dab of hot glue on the back of the recoil lug. Could save you a lot of trouble if you bed it right away.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the insight. Looks like some reinforcement is called for.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote