New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where can I get
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This style safety? And forgive my ignorance but why is locking the bolt while on safe necessary?

Posts: 160 | Location: Homer, AK | Registered: 11 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copperlake:
why is locking the bolt while on safe necessary?
to stop the bolt falling out in the bush when it’s cocked locked and you’re slinging it

Posts: 124 | Location: Australia - NSW | Registered: 04 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I once had an unlocked bolt rotate just enough that it would not fire, but not enough to be obvious. Cost me a deer. New safety with a bolt lock was installed prior to the next season.

Posts: 53 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: 01 December 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absent finding one, I'd be interested in a pic or explanation of how everything is retained. I'm thinking of making some without the locking for 93's.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
to stop the bolt falling out in the bush when it’s cocked locked and you’re slinging it

Helps for sure.

Posts: 19597 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
They cut the tab off that trigger on the later models

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
A useless and unnecessary feature.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 'old' remington got into trouble over the bolt being locked with the safety engaged. Trigger block safety. You couldn't manipulate the bolt to unload the rifle magazine without taking the safety to the 'fire' position. The 'newer' triggers Remington produced have no "lock the bolt while the safety is engaged" feature. I much prefer the 3 position firing pin block or hammer catch safety, myself.

Posts: 714 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Copperlake, I glean you mean a sliding safety that works on the original Mauser trigger, and admit I have never seen one. However, don't Timney et al still make triggers with sliding safeties?

On another tack, is that a worrying angle on the striker in that photo or just use of a wide-angle lens? It reminds me of why FN extended the streamlined bolt shroud in the first place.

Posts: 5095 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't Timney et al still make triggers with sliding safeties?

On another tack, is that a worrying angle on the striker in that photo? It reminds me of why FN extended the streamlined bolt shroud in the first place.

Both my old MarkX and Weatherby Vanguard have a safety like slivers describes. FWIW, this is a pic of a CZ action and the ONLY one I could find with said safety I'm looking for. It's possible that the cocking piece looks whacked because of the camera. One of the big things I wanna know is what sort of detent they used for holding position.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Timneys with safeties do not block the bolt. The one in the top picture is a MKX, or other Yugo.
I put Model 70 safeties on all my Mausers. Mostly.
Detent? I'll check one and let you know. I usually throw them in the scrap box.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I might have one

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Takes the Japanese (Miroku) to come up with a solution. The Browning X Bolt has the best of both worlds. When the tang safety is applied the bolt is locked however there is a square button on the bolt handle root which if pushed with the thumb the bolt handle can be lifted and the bolt withdrawn ejecting the life cartridge from the breech while the safety is still in the safe position. When the button is pushed and handle lifted it first hits a 'half open' position with a strong detent holding the bolt in position with handle not quite fully up up. The rifle can be safely carried like this without the bolt sliding open, just needing the handle to be quietly closed to be cocked and locked ready for action again all the while with the trigger locking tang safety still on safe. From this 'half open' position the handle just needs a slight more lift to overcome the detent allowing the bolt to be withdrawn to empty the chamber. The bolt can be opened without activating the button if the safety is off i.e. the safety controls the trigger and the bolt unlock button.

Posts: 3909 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My guess....the only group that really likes this type of safety is personal injury attorneys

Posts: 3615 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Though the Winchester-type safety is all the go now, the Zimbabwe PH training found them slow and that most sliding safeties are on the wrong side.

Believe it or nuts, they liked the old Mauser flag safety. The only merit I can see in it is that if left in the vertical position, you won't forget it's on when a critter charges.

Posts: 5095 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am a big fan of the Winchester safety and pre 64 action so I do have a bias to those safeties but on my Remington's I loath the non bolt locking safeties, I find it unsafe to not instantly know if the safety is on by trying to lift the bolt handle it just is not possible with the new safeties, no thank you only bolt locking safeties for me thank you.
BB

Posts: 401 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I had a couple MKX triggers but they were the adjustable and missing the lug on the safety.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
IIRC.....all "L" series, and "A" series Sako actions utilize a sliding trigger safety, that locks the bolt closed when engaged/on.

Kevin

Posts: 412 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Timneys with safeties do not block the bolt. The one in the top picture is a MKX, or other Yugo.
I put Model 70 safeties on all my Mausers. Mostly.
Detent? I'll check one and let you know. I usually throw them in the scrap box.

Just had on apart for service. The detent ia a tiny spring and ball which is fitted into the tang (underside) and rides against two notches on the safety lever. Try and get that back together!

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just had on apart for service. The detent ia a tiny spring and ball which is fitted into the tang (underside) and rides against two notches on the safety lever. Try and get that back together!

Thanks, that confirms my suspicion: a tab at 90* to the side plate. So is there a different sear pin? Or does that screw control alignment? Or maybe the bolt lock in a slot milled into the bottom of receiver does most of that?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a complete assembly including sear and single stage trigger from a Mark X. It is exactly as shown in your photo. If you are putting it on other than a Mark X, the tang will need to be modified. The only part that is not included is a longer than normal sear pin. Let me know if you are interested.

Posts: 187 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GMyers, I sent you a PM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not an exact match, but this looks real close:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/876310

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote