New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Custom Gunstock???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Allen, do you think Chic's work was quality work early on? Like he stated, he did it for free for friends when he first started. The smith who quoted 750.00 may do very good work, just not as good as the truly great stockmakers such as Chic. Also, the guy stated he wanted to hold the line on cost as much as possible. Contrary to what some of the posters seem to think here, not everyone can afford some of the high dollar firearms shown on this site.

Posts: 314 | Location: Abilene,Tx. USA | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
TC, that's a very nice stock, especially if it was only $450. Surely that was for a partially finished stock?

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I by posting I liked the work Chic does did not mean to infer that high dollar is the only way to go. Heck one of his stocks is 2 months salary for me (2700 IIRC) - I don't think I will be using him either anytime soon. Simply put I think you should look at EVERYTHING to get good ideas, plans and a feel for whats out there. What if his guy can do a job similar to Chic? Then he sees what a value the 750 is.

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
$450 or $750 for a finished stock is...an amazing price. The guy cant be making a living at it. There are just too many hours in a custom gunstock. If you like the guys work and he is within your budget then I say go for it. Sounds like a bargain to me.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I've got a great gag, looks like from the same tree as this one... for 400, iirc...

after 20 hours of shaping, fitting, sanding

then 10 of WORK finish sanding and sanding in tung oil...

then 2 on the pad...

and it's STILL not checkered, i would have to have 800 to break even....

add 250 for great checkering, and that's just to eat

jeffe

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What about Serengetti(sp?) They seem reasonable, A nice piece of wood with decent checkering is going to cost alot no matter who does it. There is a ton of work in a stock, hell you are looking at $600-$700 to have a tupperware stock fitted/bedded/finished by most any name. I would be afraid to handle let alone hunt with most of the stocks on the guns on here. So pass me the plastic and a can of Krylon, life might not be as up scale but it is alot less stressful LOL

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Quote:

TC, that's a very nice stock, especially if it was only $450. Surely that was for a partially finished stock?

Sorry, I didn't mean to be misleading. That was the price for the stock out of thier "bargin bin". I shaped and finished it myself. I can't checker so I'm paying someone else to do that. The price GAG quoted to shape, finish and checker was another $600.

ALSO, One thing I want to make perfectly clear! The quality isn't on par with a custom maker like Mr Worthington or anyone else that does this for a living, but it's one hell of a lot better than a factory stock though. I wasn't trying to compare the two, only trying to show the original poster what he do with his $$$ and stay in budget. The above pictured rifle was put together start to finish for less than $2K (new donor rifle and checkering included).

Terry

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote