New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 77 Help
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Winchester 77 that has me baffled. When firing it will not cycle the bolt back far enough to pick up the next round. I started by replacing all springs. I then started clipping off coils on mainspring until it would not close. I did the same thing on striker spring until it would not fire. Firing pin return spring, ejector spring and timing rod spring was treated the same way. I have polished the bolt, bolt bore and striker bore in receiver. I have de-burred sear, sear bore and striker. I have checked for binding of action rod and shot out of stock. Fired cases show a .002 expansion.
No matter what I do the bolt will not go back that last ¼ inch to pick up the next round when fired. I have tried different ammo. It cycles flawlessly by hand.
This rifle has been to 2 different gunsmiths before me. Rifle has sentimental value and customer wants it fixed. I am at the end of things to try. In over 30 years of business this one (at this time) has me whipped. I have about 15 hours in bench time and fired about 90 rounds single shot.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sent you a PM

one of us
posted Hide Post
I want to thank everyone for your help.

All suggestions have been addressed with no success.

Someone out there must have the answer.
I see several of these on other forms with the same problem. None that I have seen has been repaired.

Thanks, James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote