New
Find
Notify
Tools

Butt pad for a classic rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am in the process of building a Mauser actioned rifle in a walnut stock. I am wondering about what pad to use on the stock. The other walnut stocked rifles I have built all have brown Pachmayr pads on them, but I have seen some nice “British style†rifles with a red butt pad. So, I am looking for some opinions, or even better some photos to consider.

Thanks for any input.

Posts: 266 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Galazan’s sells what they call a period correct “red†pad as well as stocking the Silvers pads. I’d have a look at those.

I have the catalogue at home but I think you can see pictures online at - www.connecticutshotgun.com

Of course Pachmayr also makes a red coloured pad.

- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fergus,

Good on Ya, nice to hear from you again.....

Black, Brown, Red, what the Hell.....as long as there are no White-Line Spacers except on original Weatherby's & Remington's. I'm a big Pachmayr fan, especially their Old English Model but then again, my tatse is not just conservative; but rather Ultra-Conservative.

I've two solid Red pads on a couple of my "Classics"; one a Brown Precision synthetic and the other my Winchester Model 70 Safari Express L/H .375 H&H. Somehow I couldn't imagine them otherwise but the large(er) Red Pads seem to fit the size & concept of the rifle.

If I was going to build a Classic Mauser Sporter then I would certainly consider, like yourself; a solid Red Pad but it would be a toss up between the overall astethics of the rifle, cartridge (Small/Large), action size, wood hue, metal finish, etc. The thinner Pachmayr Old English Black pads look very nice on some smaller, svelt rifles and the Red ones I've used & seen are normally at least 1", solid, thick and to me would appear sorta (overwhelming) on a small, light, stalking rifle.

Whew! That was jsut supposed to be a comment, not a chapter......

I'd be more than happy to send you a photo but I am Cyberally (Photo) Challenged. I'm sure others will be happy to oblige.

Have Fun putting your Rifle together!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both www.brownells.com and www.midwayusa.com offer classic red pads as well as the Pachmayr pads mentioned above.

I agree with Gerry that the aesthetics of the rifle to be built will probably dictate the pad to be used.

RCG

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Ya know...

If you were building a true classic Mauser, you'd install a checkered steel buttplate! stir

sofa

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the red one from Galazan's. Brownells sells a London Guns pad and it is a little different. I prefer red pads on my rifles that have pads which aren't leather covered.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Galazan's Correct Period Pad

- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input. thumb

I am visiting my smith tomorrow, so will discuss with him and report back.

Posts: 266 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 February 2004Reply With Quote