Find
Notify
Tools

Burris Scope Screw in the way
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
OK I went to install a new 3x9 Burris on my wifes rifle. A perfect fit for her stock and face is leupold low rings. Worked great with her old scope. However after I mounted the Burris I found that large Set Screw they have on the power ring will hit the bolt handle on her MKX. Two quick options I see are to either raise the scope which she won't like the other is to relieve the stope of her bolt handle and then have it reblued. She won't like that either. I'm in a no win here.

Anyone run into this problem? Can that screw head be filed down flush? Might require a slot be cut into it to allow removal.

Help!!

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would never file any part of a scope; if the reticle is a plain duplex, you could rotate counter-clockwise the scope by 90 degrees....

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
if the reticle is a plain duplex

Nope it is a Ballistic Plex

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
How much of that head would you need to shave? Do you have a photo of the offending beast?

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Here is a picture of the screw. It is a dome headed torx screw. Best I can measure it sticks up .055" the clearance between the ring and bolt handle is .05".

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
The beautiful thing about custom gunsmithing is the ability to make things work. I don't believe you will lose anything by removing that screw and either altering that screw, or, replacing it with something a little more usable. The fact that it's a Torx head might be a deterrent to using that particular screw, but I'm cetain a replacement can be located that will allow you to keep the scope where it is.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For .005 inches, I would have already reached for the angle grinder...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote