THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    need help from winchester mod 70 pre 64 375/300 H&H owners

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

need help from winchester mod 70 pre 64 375/300 H&H owners
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was wanting to build a 375 H&H on my pre 64 action and are now finding a new possible problem. I was informened that the action from a pre 64 in 300 and 375 H&H was different, longer. The length of the inside of my box magazine is approximately 3.6, in the books i have the max length of the .375 H&H is 3.6. The remington box mag is approximately 3.7 long.

Can a Pre 64 300 or 375 H&H owner please measure the inside length of their box magazine for me, or if anyone knows this information and can share. I dont know what kind of clearence i need in a box mag when using a 375 but remington sure does not have much.

thanks in advance

RINO

Posts: 282 | Location: Florida | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I just measured mine and it's 3.6 It started out life as a 300 H&H and was rebarreled to 375 H&H

I can't imagine them using a different mag box from one to the other. That would be like using a different mag box for a 270 and 30-06

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt Norman:

I agree with you, Remington only makes one, i was told by a smith there was a difference in mag length.

I guess you dont have much free play between the tip of the bullet and the end of the mag. I did not know if that little of play would effect the nose of the bullet during recoil or help it. And i am guessing factory ammo will fit in the mag just fine.

thanks for the reply

RINO

Posts: 282 | Location: Florida | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
All factory ammo that I have used (Federal, Winchester, and PMP) has fit fine. No, there is not much room. Bulltet tips will become battered after awhile, but then they are more of a rounded off tip to begin with.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It depends on what yours started out as. If it was a 300/375 originally, it had the right mag box. The mag box for that was longer than the std 30-06 or 300/338/264 mag boxes. The actions are also different in appearance but not overall length. The difference is in the loading port cutout and is readily identified when compared to a standard action.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If its an 06 or the like all you have to do is knock the block out or reweld it, cut the rear action ring back a bit, do a little rail work. and re barrel...None of this is a problem..Dennis Olson can do it for you and not break the bank...Dennis Olson, Plains, Mt. tel. # 406-826-3790...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42138 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote