New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whitworth bolt question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How difficult is it to convert the bolt shroud on a Whitworth Mauser action over to a traditional, original Mauser shroud/safety arrangement? Is it as simple as swapping out the parts?

Also, can you drop in a regular after market Mauser trigger once the original trigger (with side safety) are removed?

Thanks very much for your help.

Posts: 39 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
How difficult is it to convert the bolt shroud on a Whitworth Mauser action over to a traditional, original Mauser shroud/safety arrangement? Is it as simple as swapping out the parts?

If it isn't the speedloc bolt yes. Just swap the parts. If it is a speedloc the cicking piece sets further forward when cocked. You can make it work but it will require machining for the cocking piece. The bolt on the right is a speedloc.

Yes to the trigger. Or when I was saving a $$ I simply removed the safety lever from the MKX trigger.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks ramrod - was the speedlock bolt only used on some years of the Whitworth/Zastava actions? I don't have the rifle yet but it's a .375 if that matters.

Posts: 39 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks ramrod - was the speedlock bolt only used on some years of the Whitworth/Zastava actions?

I can't say for sure as to the Whitworths. The speedloc was a later addition to the MKX(Zastava) action. I can't say for sure that ALL the later ones had the speedloc but the early ones didn't.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I installed a gentry safety on a friends whitworth in .375 and it was the speedlock. So At least some of the .375's were, I'd wait to get the rifle before inventing money it parts.
Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote