New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old corrospondence between WJ Jeffery's & A&F
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
While cleaning out a friends shop for his family I came across some letters from 1911 between A&F and W.J.Jeffreys discussing the poor sales of Jeffrey's rifles in the US, handwritten and signed by Charles Jeffery.

Perhaps some would find it of interest.

I hope I get most of this correct....

"Dear Sirs,

In reply to your favor of the 21st Ultimo: we do not think you need to be disappointed at not selling more rifles than you have done:because we think that it will take some time for these rifles to be known. We find that nearly every rifle sold is a good advertisement in itself. No doubt when trade improves in the united States you will find the demand for these rifles increase. We shall be only too pleased to help you in any way we can and will agree to your taking 50 rifles per year for the first two years of your contract as suggested.
Awaiting your further favor,

Your faithfully,

Charles Jeffery"

A&F's reply...

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
That's a very nice piece of industry memorabilia.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing that. A&F was an incredible store I used to visit it often. Everyone there treated you like a prince and I was only in my late teens and early twenties when I used to visit the shop.

Michael J

Michael J

Posts: 485 | Location: Lakewood Colorado | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Very neat. Thanks for sharing.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Wow! Awesome! Let me know if those become available!

Thanks for sharing!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Neat letter! It's amazing to look at these letters within their historical context isn't it? For example, I don't imagine they would be too worried about the sales levels in 1912 if they had known how things were going to go by 28 June 1914. Eeker