Find
Notify
Tools

My first Custom-Experiment... HELP!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey everyone,

I haven't posted a lot on this forum so far, but I still hope that you can help me out with my latest project!

I have owned/used/destroyed Roll Eyes quite a few rifles until now, never found the real thing, that's why I decided to go for a Custom rilfe in .308!

My preferences are the following:

1.) uncompromisingly sturdy and imperishable.
2.) precision up to 300 meters.
3.) moderate weight that allows comfortable stalking.
4.) no more than 2500 $.

Here are some components a Custom gunsmith proposed:

1.) stainless action by Winchester/Remington/SAKO - detachable magazin is a must!!!
2.) fluted stainless barrel by Walther/Shilen/Border/Douglas - light varmint or sporter contour.
3.) synthetic stock by HS Precision/McMillan - light version in black.
4.) aluminum bedding all the way and I would like a blued stainless barrel and action.

Now, unfortunately I am not an expert but I am currently using all the education facilities the internet offers! Wink

Anyway, all your comments and thoughts on this project are very appreciated!

Thanks very much in advance and Good Shooting! thumb

Posts: 337 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
elwood, a detachable box mag in a Win is a trick, I 'd think that rules out Winchester with your price max.

Remingtons are much easier for smith's to work, and the aftermarket parts are much much more available for them in comparison to SAKO. I'm a Sako fan, but the base price for one is going to be at least 300 or so above a Remingotn.

McMillan makes great stocks, I have a bunch, but an aluminum bedding block isn't a practical option (maybe not even possible) in a McMillan.

I think you have basically defined taking a detachable mag Remington and having it blueprinted and rebarreled and restocked into an HS precision bedding block stock. This and the right smith doihng the work being the key, should achieve your precision/quality goals.

Good Luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
elwood, very simple. Remington LTR in 308, comes with the H-S stock, buy the H-S Detacthable bottom metal and your good to go. These little guns are shooters, I have had several in both 223 and 308. Good luck with the project

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
elwood

You can find a Winchester with a detachable box magazine, they are some what uncommon though. I have a m70 classic DBM in 7mm magnum. You can also get an FN-USA patrol rifle with a DBM that might fit the bill. These are Win. M70’s that have been worked over.
As far as the features you are looking for I believe that you could get what you want in a Remington for a good bit less than $2500 if you shop around and do your homework.
Remington 700 SA used- $350
Premium barrel and action work- $500
Stock- HS- $350 / McMillan- $500
HS DBM- $250
Nice trigger- $150

Say $1750 and add a couple hundred for labor and other inevitable expenses and you have what you want for $2000 or a tad more. You could surely spend more but if you tried hard you could probably spend less.

Good luck
Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your answers guys!

You are right, unless I dont have the money to go for a custom from Christensen Arms, I should get a used Rem or Win and modify it within my possibilities.

Pity, that all the parts tend to be f... expensive in Germany. So with the cheap dollar it might be worth the bother to import directly myself.

Thanks again!

Happs Huntin'!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Consider the FN SPR (Special Police Rifle). Basically a short Winchester Classic actioned sniper rifle. The receiver is pulled off the production line- blueprinted and tuned. A chrome lined FNMG barrel is installed- reportedly shoots 1/4" groups. Several choices of synthetic stock styles. Detachable box magazine or standard hinged. There is a 20" barrel on some models- sounds right for stalking...

I've handled two but shot neither of them. Considerably "tighter feel" than the standard Winchester Classic, smoother safety, bolt lift... The lastest iteration with the green molded synthetic stock called the USG (United States Government) designed for the FBI really floats my boat...

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Remington is now offering to civilians a model of the 700 w/ aluminum bedding block, 5r-1/11.5twist barrel, 24"length and for the price, an excellent, extremely accurate, dependable weapon in all respects. Caliber is of course the 308 and with the right load behind the Sierra 175 HPBTM bullet, good to go for a long way out there!! Check it out, less than a grand and you can always customize over time, but not really that much left to do other than shoot it.
Favor Center!!
dsiteman

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiteman:
Hello,
Remington is now offering to civilians a model of the 700 w/ aluminum bedding block, 5r-1/11.5twist barrel, 24"length and for the price, an excellent, extremely accurate, dependable weapon in all respects. Caliber is of course the 308 and with the right load behind the Sierra 175 HPBTM bullet, good to go for a long way out there!! Check it out, less than a grand and you can always customize over time, but not really that much left to do other than shoot it.
Favor Center!!
dsiteman

Thanks dsiteman! Whats that nice rifle called? Just visited remington.com and there seem to be virtually "hundreds" of different 700's... Confused

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Elwood,
I will contact my dealer friend and get the Rem. item no. and post it for you on the site for "all to see..." Friend of mine did buy one and he is most pleased with it.
I would prefer a longer barrel, but the 24" 5R(radius rifling) 11.5 twist is not that common so one can tolerate the slightly shorter barrel. I have been told that this particular barrel gives excellent accuracy plus outstanding life. Match shooters are always looking for that barrel that will last a lifetime and costs nothing, but yet to find one of those!! Later,
Favor Center!!
dsiteman

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Elwood,
Well, went to my dealer friend, looked it up in his supplier catalog and come up with the following: Remington Model 700 Stainless R5 Mil Spec, Limited Production Rifle, NO. 9663 Now, that number may well be the supplier catalog no. or it may be Remington's item no??, but the description should help you trace one down. It is your fault that I got to looking at these again and now have one on the way for this coming shooting season!! I should have mine sometime next week and eventually find time to shoot it at the local range and let you know how it does.
Favor Center!!
dsiteman

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much for all the info dsiteman! Thats what I love about this forum - generous and friendly hunting-fellows!!!
I'll mail remington right away to get price, details etc...

Sorry for infecting you with the "I-need-a-new-gun-Virus" - I know how it feels. Have been suffering from it for the better part of a month now... Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Cant wait to hear your results with your new toy!

So long,

elwood.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Elwood,

Once you have the rifle all set up (bought or built), you'll need to export it. Have you got that under control??

Basically you'll need
1) an import permit from Germany
2) an English translation of that import permit
3) a US exporter, who will apply for the US export license from the State Dept, and who will handle shipping for you.

I take it you'll have 1 & 2 under control. Sometimes, it can be a bit hard to loacte exporters, though. Here is some information from one (I have not used this company, nor am I endorsing them), that our own StuC unearthed last year:

quote:

Hello Stu,
WE ARE GUNS exports firearms throughout the world. The procedure follows:
The following completed forms must be mailed to WE ARE GUNS:
1) Original firearms import license (with all the firearms listed) as well as the importer/enduser name & an English translation if applicable.
2) A signed purchase order and mailing address from the importer/enduser for the firearms ordered.
3) DSP-83 (non-export agreement) signed by the importer/enduser. This form will be emailed to the importer/enduser at the appropriate time. The enduser must print the document, sign & date only Item 7, and return this signed & dated document to WE ARE GUNS along with documents from 1 & 2 above.

These original documents will then be submitted to the US State Department along with the Export License Application.
Upon approval of the Export License and receipt of payment, the firearm(s) will be shipped to the importer/enduser. The importer/enduser name on the signed purchase order must be the same as the name listed on the import license to whom it is issued.
Remember, I must have original documents, not photocopies. Approval takes about 5 weeks
upon receipt by the US State Department. The documents will not be returned so certified duplicates must be retained.

Export License Application Fee: $125 for each import license processed (it is best to have all the firearms listed on a single import license to avoid multiple fees)
Shipping: Long Gun: $125-$150 each (assuming shipping weight to be 10-20 lb.) + Insurance ($1.00 per $100 valuation)
Handgun: $80 - $100 each + Insurance ($1.00 per $100 valuation)
Regards,
Richard Feinberg
WE ARE GUNS
15 Farm Lane
Norton, MA 02766
USA
tel/fax 1 508 285 8340

This page has some links to additonal exporters - including the one mentioned above.

My last shipment of rifles from the US were sent with FedEx. No, it was not exactly cheap, but they provided me with good service, and did not have a fit about the shipment containing firearms - in contrast to UPS in Switzerland. Everything arrived safe and sound.

Good luck - mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike,

thanks for the advice! It will come in handy once I made up my mind.

Are the same procedures required if want to import parts of a weapon e.g. barrel, system, stock etc.? Because that's what I rather planned to do...

Danke vielmal, Wink

elwood.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool Yo Elwood,

Read the thread about your custom rifle project with your personal wish list & requirements.

All very sound reasoning. A Blaser OffRoad in .308 Win would meet your stated objectives except that it wouldn't be "custom" rifle, more a mix & match and the detachable magazine.

I ended up purchasing a Blaser using similar critieria except my choice was .30/06 Sprg.

OffRoad stock (plastic)
Attaché barrel (light & fluted)
Outstanding accuracy (out to 300 mtrs.)

This set-up would also meets your weight and $$$ requirements without the import/export hassles.

Just a thought......

Cheers,

Gerry

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Gerry,

good to see a fellow countryman on this forum!

Thanks for your hint and I would gladly go for it if it wasn't for the damn detachable magazine! Sorry, but I am not going anywhere without DM...

Do you go hunting near Frankfurt? Taunus? Lots of boars I heard...

So long,

elwood.

one of us
posted Hide Post
wave elwood,

Yes, dispalced Cracker (Tampa, Florida).

DM's - Yup, it's all about choices.....I'm so dumb a DM is just something else I'd forget going out the door at oh dark thirty.....folks look like such Geeks Roll Eyes stuffing catridges into a DM rifle with Thinsulate gloves on and no mag. Color me marginally handicapped. nut

Yes, we do some serious crop protection around here and lots of drive hunts in the fall. Too many piggies to bash in the Taunus and not enough time. Big Grin

Don't be a stranger,

beer

Gerry

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elwood:
Are the same procedures required if want to import parts of a weapon e.g. barrel, system, stock etc.? Because that's what I rather planned to do...
elwood.

I have personally never exported parts - but I believe the procedure is the same, at least for actions, barrels and (believe it or not) triggers Mad. Stocks should probably be OK without formal export, although one never knows what (expletive deleted) custom official one runs into...

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Gerry,

well, almost guessed it right didn't I? Smiler
DM's - I know what exactly what you mean! Forgot it once - cost me 3 roe deer due to slow reloading with thinsulate gloves!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Got myself so upset that I never forgot it since! Never had another chance of 3 roe deer in row, either! Mad Roll Eyes

I know quite a few people in Frankfurt and surrounding - in fact I visit Frankfurt rather often. Nice city and once you make it outside the outskirts there is good hunting all around!

You are the first American I "met" that does not condemn the Blaser R93... Cool

So long,

elwood.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Winkelwood,

Ja, but I don't give myself the chance to misplace magazine's anymore, had a Remington 788 (I'm a lefty, so fairly selective about what gets purchased) with three magazines so I'd ALWAYS have at least one. Forgot all three one morning, did the (nifty) glove, stand on your head - while loading trick in a high seat and managed to loose a round while unloading only to find all three magazines (loaded too!) in my coat pocket while fishing for my car keys on the way home Eeker.

Life's all about choices bewildered

Yes, I've met a few who claim they didn't think R93's are much of a rifle. While not to catagory blanket everyone of them as "one brick shy of a full load" most had a (single) rifle that looked like a fencepost, a 4x $17.95 Tasco scope from K-Mart and reloaded ammunition that appears as though the Germans had kept it in an Austrian lake for 50 years after the war. I try to keep an open mind and don't form opinions too quickly but most of these guys can droll on for hours about the junk that Blaser makes, including the F3. I listen intently to what they say cause I think I may learn something today.Wink

I picked up on the fact that you said you "know" people in the FKT area and visit often. Provide references please? roflmao

Regards,

Gerry

Cheers,

Number 10

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gerry,

like your story about the three mags - could have been me! Cool

Please excuse my insufficient English, but does "one brick shy of a full load" mean something like "not playing with a full deck of cards"? Confused

Oh yeah, German hunters are known for giving up their jobs just to dedicate themselves fulltime to caliber and rilfe discussions! And in the end they stick to grandfather's "Drilling" anyway...

Good to hear that you adopted a German hunting rifle - if you let Blaser know they are bound to offer you a big promotion contract! Big Grin

You asked for reference in the FKT area? Here we go: brother, buddies, ex-employer, ex-girlfriend. Now you can figure out yourself which one is responsible for the regular visits... Wink Roll Eyes Big Grin

Good night,

elwood.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
quote:
Originally posted by elwood:
elwood.

I have personally never exported parts - but I believe the procedure is the same, at least for actions, barrels and (believe it or not) triggers Mad. Stocks should probably be OK without formal export, although one never knows what (expletive deleted) custom official one runs into...

- mike

I ran across the following from the Brownells website - regarding export of parts:

quote:

"If gun parts exceed $100.00 OR an Action, Receiver, Frame, Cylinder, Barrel, Flash Hider or Military Scope is orderd a State Department License is required. If your order requires an export license our Export Department will contact you."

- mike