THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

European rail mts. on Zeiss, etc scopes???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I posted this under "Optics" and didn't get a response, I was hoping someone in here might know the answer.

"I see some of these scopes for sale with rail mounts. Does anyone know if the mounts are integral to the scope tube and, if so, is there anyone who makes an adapter to use them? Thanks CAT"

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The rails are integral with the scope. EAW makes mounts for them. They are imported into the US by NECG

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kurt

Does NECG have mounts for American Bases or just for claw mounts?

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
"I see some of these scopes for sale with rail mounts. Does anyone know if the mounts are integral to the scope tube and, if so, is there anyone who makes an adapter to use them? Thanks CAT"

Cat, yes indeed the rails are integral with the scopes. In Central Europe, mounting a scope via a rail is in many ways considered superior to a standard ring mount. You avoid the "pesky" rings, you don't have trouble with the scope tube slipping inside the rings, no problems with the rings not being tight enough or too tight, that the rings are not aligned etc etc. A zillion people are about to stand on my liver for uttering such heresy [Big Grin] - suffice to say that if I had the choice I would mount all my scopes with rails! Unfortunately, US made scopes (Leupold) don't come with rails, and offer excellent value for money. Besides, European scopes tend to be on the heavy side, so a scope like this would probably not be the first choice for a super-lightweight.

You should also know that there are 2 basic kinds of rails:
1) a solid rail (e.g. used by Schmidt & Bender, Swarovski, Kahles etc). This rail is mounted by drilling and tapping the rail from the bottom, and screwing the mount onto the scope. One has to be careful not to drill into the scope tube - loss of inert gas, entry of water vapour - shudder! This is the traditional rail type.
2) a proprietary rail design by Zeiss, which is hollow on the inside and where the mounting is done without drilling & tapping, but where little "nuts" are slid into the rail and pressure fixed with screws. I have never tried this on a a big bore gun, but it works a charm on rifles with "normal" recoil. Advantage: no holes or ring marks if you want to remount your scope on another rifle, no drilling or tapping. VERY elegant solution.

In times gone by - probably less so these days - you might also run into scopes with a rail under the objective bell. They were typically intended for breaktop guns - to avoid the problematic (gigantic) objective ring otherwise used. We are talking about scopes mounted on the barrels only here - mostly because there is no receiver to mount to. Mauser 66 is another gun where you see these mounts. In the older days, the claw mount was the thing to have here. But these days, claw mounts are considered very finicky, and have stayed expensive as &%�*!. Stay away from those unless you absolutely MUST... [Wink]

Mounts for rail equipped scopes might be a bit of a problem in the States. I think EAW is imported into the States by New England Custom Gun Service (Apel?) - NECG - but the last time I looked on their website, they (sadly) did not mention mounts for rails. This could be because this mounting method is used very little in the US, though. EAW certainly makes mounts for most guns, with either rings or rail-type uppers. If you feel adventurous, try the EAW site. EAW mounts are of excellent quality, but like most gun-related thing from Europe, just a "tad" more expensive than US products (the understatement of the year [Big Grin] ). Apart from price, QD mounts are much more common in Europe, and usually of higher quality than US products, but often at 2-10 times the price. Have your pick...

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cat, just checked the EAW site, there is even an English version. To see the EAW swing mounts for rail mounted scopes, go to the bootom of this page: EAW - English - Pivot Mount - Information.
They call the solid rails "prisms", and the Zeiss "VM/ZM". There are links to click to see list of supported rifles for each mount.

- mike

[ 02-22-2003, 15:10: Message edited by: mho ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ooops double post... [Roll Eyes]

[ 02-22-2003, 15:02: Message edited by: mho ]

<Dutchgus>
posted
mho,
All the standard-rail mounts that I've seen, were drilled sideways through the rail and fixed with a small bolt and nut; therefor no tapping needed.
The disadvantage of such a mount is that, when you want to put the scope on a different make of rifle, you have to drill 2 new holes, for a proper mounting and to get proper eye relief. If you do this 3 or 4 times, you risk running out of space for drilling new holes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dutchgus, I think you might be right. I might be confusing some other screws in my bridge (i.e. one-piece) mounts (all the standard rail scopes I have are on bridge mounts)?? When I looked at the pictures from EAW, I was wondering the same thing. Hmmm, one lives and one learns [Smile]
- mike

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I'll take rail mounts as opposed to rings whenever I get the chance. Advantages are :
- lower scope positioning ;
- scope always square with receiver ;
- no risk of denting the tube by overtightening ;
- no turrets being in the way of the rings, the eye relief positioning is limitless. I own several rail scopes :
 -
Blaser R93, .300 Win Mag + Swarovski 2,5-10x42 + Blaser saddle mount
 -
FN-Browning, 9,3x74R O/U + Swarovski 1,25-4x24 + S�hler claw mount
 -
Sauer 202, 7x64 + Swarovski 1,5-6x42 + EAW swing-out mount
 -
Win 70, .338 Win Mag (Lothar walther bbl.) + Swarovski 1,5-6x42 + EAW fixed mount

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks for the information guys, that is 100% more than the zero I knew about rail mounts before. CAT

one of us
posted Hide Post
I went to EAWs site and, while I may have missed it, I didn't see any prices for their rail bases. Just to give me an idea, what is the rough cost in Euros for say, a set of base mounts for a Winchester Model 70?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, welcome to Europe. See the price on a web-site?? Are you out of your mind, that would mean the local gunsmith can't demand for the product what he feels like... (I'm jesting, but only just [Roll Eyes] )

I don't have my catalogues with me, but if memory serves, before the Euro days, an EAW pivot mount (the one you'd want) would typically be about DM 500. That probably puts it between 250 and 300 Euro today - most probably without the cost for mounting it. This is Europe after all...

Hope I have not scared you away totally, the mounts really are excellent. Sauer and Steyr-Mannlicher do similar mounts, at similar prices, but mostly only for their own rifles.

- mike

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
About that amount if I remember correctly : 300 � for the swing-out and about 180 � for the fixed. True, more expensive than most U.S. mounts but they are true pieces of art. BTW, Sauer lists a swing-out mount, made by EAW (only the markings are different), ergo : don't pay more for a genuine "Sauer".

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote