Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Your Thoughts please Rem 700 or Win 70
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Quote:

I am going to buy a new rifle, and never have owned a new Win, I thought i might get the Pro's and Con's between the Rem700 and Win 70.
Any thought's please?
Thanks Len

From the remarks I've heard in the last couple yrs I doubt Rem-chucker even test fires their rifles. I also believe the QC dep has been eliminated.

I own an old 700 which is very accurate. I would under NO circumstances buy a new one.

I own a Marlin MR-7 which was discontinued recently. It incorporated the best features of the bolt guns. For the money is was a great buy-- I lucked into nice wood which those guns aren't noted for.

One of the guys touched on pride of ownership issues. Very sound point if your owning just one gun..

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I own eight Rem. 700s, and six Winchester Model 70s. The eight Remingtons are accurate rifles, most of which have been tweaked a bit (new barrels, new stocks, trued, etc.).
The last one I bought was a real dog in terms of quality control (fit, finish, function, trigger all sucked).

The last six big game rifles I bought were Model 70s. I don't believe I'll ever buy a 700 again.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't like Winchester's safety as well. As far as that goes, I don't like Remington's safety either. The triggers on either can be easily tuned to crisp, but I would not adjust either below 3 lbs. I currently own no Winchesters and own 2 Remingtons. Both of my Remingtons were made when they still put out good quality. Personally, I think both companies' QA has been eliminated. If I was going to buy either I would either buy a Winchester made before their factory moved or buy an 80's model Remington.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote