New
Find
Notify
Tools

7x64 to .280 Remington
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can a 7x64 chamber be re-reamed (cleaned out) to .280 Remington?

<JBelk>
posted
I *will* work but you're likely to have a very distinctive ring around the shoulder. It's best to set the barrel back a turn and then rechamber.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
why?
brass? reloading? like 280 is easy to find.. they are they same round, just a slight shoulder/angle difference.
jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have a 7x64 keep it that way!!!!!!!!

It for sure beats the 280 ...

Look for RWS, Hirtenberg or Sellier and Bellot ammo ( which is cheapest, very accurate, take your pick about the bullets offered ).

Because of the long throat any European ammo will beat US made 280 or 7x64 ammo.

Stop tinkering and go hunting! hermann

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually I bought 21 boxes of ammo on closeout ($8.00/box) , so I guess I should not complain. I also have a .280. The Remington ammo is not very consistant, but I can live with it until I get some dies and reload. I have 12 boxes of 175 grain and the rest is 140 grain. The .280 lookes a little bigger than the 7x64, but around the shoulder it looks a lot different. I have been told you can reform .280 brass but I am not sure. I also have three boxes of Federal ammo, but they stopped making it. However I think enough is in the pipeline for a year or two. If everyone goes out and buys a new CZ 7x64 then they will make it again [Smile]

Actually I am never satisfied fully with any rifle but that is my nature.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington sells 7x64 brass...I have a hundred new cases give or take 6.... I'd sell for how about $35.00 plus postage.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote