THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    fn commercial,mark 10 or action from legacy sports

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

fn commercial,mark 10 or action from legacy sports
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
HI,

I am thinking of just picking up an action,mauser, and down the road send to gunsmith and have him make me a light weight 338.And of the above actions mention,FN,M10 and the Legacy which would you suggest to have as the action for this rifle?,Thanks,Kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I have both Fns and Mark X actions. While I haven't worked with a Legacy I have a new Daly. If you are wanting a real light rifle then the 98 action would not be my first choice. I've used the Mark X on several rifles that finshed out right at 7# with scope. Key is go with a light stock. Since a 338 is not a bench rest rifle if it were my $$ I would locate a Mark X in 338($275-350). The factory barrels are very accurate and a fairly light contour. Then spend the money saved on a sythetic stock in the one pound range.

If your heart is not set on a 98 I have a 338 built from a Ruger MkII factory barrel turned and shortened to 22" sitting in the back of the safe. It shoots 1.25-1.5MOA If memory serves it was 6.75# with scope.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kev,
Of those 3, I would go with the FN in a heartbeat but it will be more expnsive than the rest. I personally do not like the safety on the Mark X and would much rather have either a 2 position or a 3 position (which the Legacy comes with). I have a legacy and they are roughly made and I do not like the bolt but can be cleaned up. It does have all the bells and whistles, hinged floor plate, 3 pos, adjustable trigger, they just take a bit of work.

I don't know how light a 338 you want but it may just kick like a mule if it is too light. I have a Ruger #1 that weighs 8# 4 oz with scope and it is bad enough.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
Kev

My brother has a Mark X in 7 mag that he has had for about 12 years now. It has served him very well, and use has just made it better (smoother). I think if you plan to use a Mark X, it might be better to look for an older one as the newer ones don't have the same style floorplate release, etc.

All of the people that make replacement safties for mausers make a 3 position for the mark 10, and of course you can also easily replace the trigger with a Timney or Blackburn.

There may be a bit more prestige in using an FN action, but I am betting that in use you are not going to be able to tell the difference between an FN and a Mark X, and if you want the three position safety you would have to change out on the FN as well.

AS for lightweight, if you plan to do a lot more carrying than shooting, that might be an okay plan. However, if you are going to do a lot of shooting you might want to consider helping your shoulder out a bit by keeping it at least middleweight.

Kev

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd just like to add my two cents worth. First, I really like your choice of caliber. It is one of my favorites. I have two .338 WM's, both accurate, both really hammer game. However, be aware that this caliber is known for hammering the shooter when fired from too light or poorly stocked guns. This is specially noticeable when shooting warm loads with heavy(250-275gr.) bullets. I'd think hard about going too light. My personal recommendation FWIW would be to go no lighter than 7 3/4 to 8 1/4 scoped. You can walk around all day with that weight and still not get punished at the range, which is where the majority of your shooting will be done.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

Thanks for the information men, if anyone here could suggest where I could pick up an FN or mark 10 it would be helpful. I am not to worried about weight as far as recoil as my other rifles are heavy on recoil and I do alright with them,more recoil than a 338,I am leaning toward an FN,Kev

one of us
posted Hide Post
I sent you a PM on a good action at a good price.

Posts: 206 | Location: Tucson, AZ, USA | Registered: 26 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

I sent you an E-mail,kev

one of us
posted Hide Post
Check Gunsamerica for a browning safari in 338. Restock it if you want to drop weight.

Posts: 1531 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote