Find
Notify
Tools

Questions on actions
 Login/Join

<Bush baby>
posted
Hi guys,
I wonder can anyone tell me if the following actions are still available � even used ones � with bolt faces to suit the 30-30 case head?
They were all at one time offered in 30-30.

Savage 340, Stevens 325, Remington 788.

I would like to know because I have an idea to build a bolt-action rifle for the 7x30 Waters. I understand they were of a fairly cheap working rifle (wood and finishing), that�s the reason I would rather build one on the action, than buy the complete rifle.

I know almost nothing about these actions or rifles, are/were they any good?
Which is the strongest?
Roughly what would they respectively cost?
Would there be any problems that you know of � from the US authorities - in shipping one to South Africa?
Is anyone more difficult than another for scope mounting?
Thanks

Bush baby.

<MC>
posted
I don't know about the Stevens 325 but the 340 and 788 I have at one time or another owned. I am sure that any of them can be found used.

I would use the Remington 788 if I were to build anything, it would be the easiest to mount a scope on and has a better bolt lock up than the 340 which has only a single locking lug.

mc

one of us
posted Hide Post
Of these the best one would be the 788. It would be preferable I think to build on on a Mauser action although there are many 788 fans who would disagree. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3534 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about a nice old Krag action? Smooth as can be, designed for rimmed round, and easy on the eyes. I have a Krag that was rebarrelled in 30-30 out being blued currently.

Krag actions are available inexpensively (can be found around $150 US). Any of pre-1898 manufacture would be considered antiques and have no shipping restrictions.

Posts: 497 | Location: Lewistown, PA USA | Registered: 21 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Bush Baby, There is a cult of 788 fans and I think the 788 was a fine and accurate rifle for its price. But, I just don't see going through the effort you're considering for a 7mm Waters on a 788 action. Why not a 7X57 on a mauser action? It would be a classic combo and a much more desirable firearm when you are finished with your project. I can't imagine putting in the hours neccessary to build the stock all the while staring at that 788 action.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote