New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brno VZ 33
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How are these action for a custom, don't know anything about these. Buddy wants me to buy his for $500. I've not seen it, says it's in decent shape.

Posts: 276 | Location: MId-Michigan (back in the States) | Registered: 21 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These are essentially the same as the much covetted G33/40. I'd drop $500 in a second on one in good shape.

one of us
posted Hide Post
worth it to me if in even semi-decent shape. If you pass, several guys here will buy it.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I don't know your buddy's definition of "decent", but if it hasn't been bubba'd then its probably a buy.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From what he said (again I'm sitting in Egypt, he in Mich), not Bubba but mismatched sTock, bolt, barrel is so so. Was looking at stripping it for the action. I get first crack at it, then there is somebody else behind me. There is one for sale on Auctionarms, or Gunbroker for a buyme price of $650.

Posts: 276 | Location: MId-Michigan (back in the States) | Registered: 21 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you know the guy, and if it is in good shape, I'd latch on to it.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
not so fast. I would want to make sure that if the bolt is mismatched it is at least the correct bolt for that paticular action. You don't want to get the thing and then find out that you have a bolt that is going to need a lot of work in order for it to work properly, or that it is really sloppy, or whatever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
22wrf, what the hell are you talking about?
The only thing different about the vz33 bolt is that it has a hollow ball. Otherwise it is as interchangable as any other 98 bolt.

If you have a sloppy fit, 95% of the time it is due to the bolt bore in the receiver being oversized, not the bolt being undersized.

While I too prefer to work with an original bolt (saves lapping time) there is no reason not to buy one with a mismatched bolt. As long as it's a standard 98 bolt anyway.

As long as the action was unmolested, I'd easily drop the $500. Hell, if it wasn't what you want you can turn around and sell it on Gunbroker for more.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rem721:
If you have a sloppy fit, 95% of the time it is due to the bolt bore in the receiver being oversized, not the bolt being undersized.

I have three G.33/40 actions. (I know they have hollow knobs) Two have the original bolts and they are not sloppy. One has a nonoriginal bolt and it is very sloppy, yet there isn't much wear on the action at all.

Could you please provide me with a citation to the authority from where you took the information you quoted above.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
quote:

I have three G.33/40 actions. (I know they have hollow knobs) Two have the original bolts and they are not sloppy. One has a nonoriginal bolt and it is very sloppy, yet there isn't much wear on the action at all.

Could you please provide me with a citation to the authority from where you took the information you quoted above.

And have you taken the time to measure said offending bolt? Have you measured the bolt bores, particularly at the rear bridge to see what they measure? Or, are just just challenging me with no hard facts of your own?

You may cite me. My statement comes from my years of experience. I find that the bores are more often "sloppy" than the bolts are undersized. Sometimes you get a little of both. I have seen plenty of matching number receiver & bolt combos that were sloppy as you call it. Almost all of them were due to the rear bore being generous.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I won't cut up an original Vz 33 or G 33/40 bolt. They are even more rare then the actions and there are collectors who really want and need them. There is absolutely nothing to be gained by destroy the rare bolt vs. just getting another bolt and modifying it to sporter configuration with a new bolt handle.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

And have you taken the time to measure said offending bolt? Have you measured the bolt bores, particularly at the rear bridge to see what they measure? Or, are just just challenging me with no hard facts of your own?

You may cite me. My statement comes from my years of experience. I find that the bores are more often "sloppy" than the bolts are undersized. Sometimes you get a little of both. I have seen plenty of matching number receiver & bolt combos that were sloppy as you call it. Almost all of them were due to the rear bore being generous.

Who are you? What is your experience? Are you published? Are you peer reviewed? Or, are you, as you appear to be, some sort of self proclaiming expert that nobody else recognizes as an expert.

You didn't measure my bolts either, did you. So how do you know anything about my actions.
YOU DON'T.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
[
Who are you? What is your experience? Are you published? Are you peer reviewed? Or, are you, as you appear to be, some sort of self proclaiming expert that nobody else recognizes as an expert.

You didn't measure my bolts either, did you. So how do you know anything about my actions.
YOU DON'T.

How conveneient that you speak from aposition of not knowing anything. It's obvious you've never done any measuring. What are you? A scholar or Lawyer? You are the one fancying themselves to be in the know yet you've never taken the time to break out the measuring tools.

Well pard, I have, on more mausers than you'll ever see. I don't need to be published. My data gained over many years is all the validation I need.

So, unless you can show me that you've measured more than I have, and that the measurements prove me wrong, I'll stand by my statement.

Now get back to reading them books and let those that can, do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

You miss the point. I don't care how many mausers you have measured. You could have been measuring them wrong all of this time for all I know. The point is, you haven't measured mine. You might know what you are talking about with yours,(or maybe not) but you don't know shit about mine. I admit that I am not an expert. But if you are you should be happy to provide your credentials, at least something more than just you saying you are an expert.

About the only thing I have seen you be an expert on so far is your rudeness towards Vapodog when he was trying to sell an action. Looks to me like you are more of an expert in being a fruitcake than anything else.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looks to me like you are more of an expert in being a fruitcake than anything else.

Well, even a well mannered individual such as yourself is entitled to their opinion.

I have nothing to prove, especially to you. If you don't like what I say, don't read my posts. If you don't believe me capable, then ignore my advice. It's that simple.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
right back at you. If you don't believe what I say, ignore my posts. And if you don't believe me capable, then ignore my advice. Its that simple.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And if you don't believe me capable, then ignore my advice.

Believe me, I have no problem with that.

Incidentally, I wan't offering you advice, I was putting mine out there for those that might mistakenly follow yours.

No why don't you go whine some more about how your favorite (gulp, gulp) gunsmith screwed you.

one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Incidentally, I wan't offering you advice, I was putting mine out there for those that might mistakenly follow yours.

No why don't you go whine some more about how your favorite (gulp, gulp) gunsmith screwed you.

We all read your vast knowlege on the classifieds and you was proven wrong so I guess the score isn't in your favor.

For a new guy you sure seem to be a northgoing horses south end.

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by duikerman:
We all read your vast knowlege on the classifieds and you was proven wrong so I guess the score isn't in your favor.

People pay too much everyday for items they either have to have or are uninformed about.

quote:
For a new guy you sure seem to be a northgoing horses south end.

I may seem to be but you've had enough time on the boards to prove you are.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To bad this thread ended this way. I decided not to take it. I couldn't get a good look and I have 3 projects going right now. I didn't want to spend that much right now, somebody else did take it. BTW is anybody has a stripped Mex Mauser receiver they want to sell, let me know.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rem

What was your name on this board before you came back as Rem721?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry the deal didn't work out for you.

Thismortalcoil,

I know where there is a complete Mexican 1910 rifle. It's on the dealer's shelf for $400. At least it was last week. PM me and I'll give you the name & number of the dealer.

Can I ask what you intend to build? There is a good deal of difference in the magazine lengths of the Mexican vs the Brno.

Good luck!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know yet. Timan is building a 338Fed on a 1910 Mex mauser, have a 223AI and 257Bob in the works on Rem 600 actions. The VZ 33 was just to have around for later, but $500 is a little too much for a whatever project right now. I have a stripped Mex bolt laying around and figured if anyone has a stripped receiver, I'd start getting the parts slowly for the next one. Thanks for the offer though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That 338 fed will be nice. Staurt does real nice work and the cartridge is a fun one. Be sure to share some pics when it is done.