New
Find
Notify
Tools

.350 Rigby
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For well over a year now I've been consumed with the thought of having a nice bolt action in .350 Rigby. I know that there are better choices out there ( .35 Whelen ) but the Rigby just has a certain romance about it. It just strikes a chord inside me. Now the only gun I have in my possesion that I'm willing to put up for this project is an FN mauser in .300 Winchester. Off the top of my head I don't know the length of the Rigby but fear that it may be too long for the action? What would be the best way to go about setting this gun up for the Rigby, or is it even possible? Thanks alot!!!

------------------
Gotta love that BIG MEDICINE

Posts: 1258 | Location: Colusa CA U.S.A. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wait a bit and Paul Hail will answer you, he is considering building one also. I have the reamer drawing and will order a reamer if enough interest builds for a rifle in this cartridge. Brass is a bit of a problem, Paul has some leads.

------------------
Currently in Exile on the Beautiful Olympic Peninsula of Washington State.

My Warden sometimes allows me to respond to email. NEW Address is rifles@earthlink.net

***********Jail Flash*******
Web site under construction: http://home.earthlink.net/~rifles/

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 1996 Handloader's Digest has a very good article on the .350 Rigby. A British gent rescued an original Rigby and turned it into a shooter again.

COAL is very close to .375 H&H - a 30-06 length action won't do it.

Bertram didn't list 350 Rigby brass at the time, but did supply some for the project. At the end of the article there still seemed to be some issues with brass, although the author did make the Bertram cases work.

Bigiron

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I've also been smitten with the 350 Rigby bug! I currently have a 35 whelen AI I plan to have John re-chamber, so once I scrape up some $ for the reamer, we'll be in business.

The length issue shouldn't be that big of a deal with your 300, the rigby is longer, 2.76" case and 3.6" COL, but the bigger problem is your bolt face is too large, .532" rim on the H&H belted case ~/520" for the rigby.

The round is sort of a bugaboo for what action is appropriate. You want an H&H length action, but you don't want the bolt to already be opened up. I mauser 98 action can be opened up, as the round isn't quite as long as the 375 H&H, but it really stretches what can be fit in a 98.

I think the best way to build one is start with a CZ 550 -06 action, and have it opened up. I don't know if you could order an -06 550 w/ the magnum bottom metal, but that would seem like the best route.

The best way to picture the 350 rigby is to think of the 375 H&H case w/o a belt, move the shoulder back a tad and sharpen it up, and neck down to 35. The body taper is the same as the H&H, so it'll feed slick as snot, and the shoulder is sharp enough to headspace off. Case capicity is just a tad more then the 358 Norma mag, so I'd expect performance to be 225 gr @ 3000 fps, 250 gr @ 2800 fps, and 280 gr @ 2550 fps. I plan to load mine w/ 250 gr @ 2700 fps.

Almost forgot, for brass, you can get Bertram at the outrageos price of ~$70/20 cases, or turn the belt off of 375 H&H brass, fl size and trim to length. I plan to use H&H brass de-belted and trimmed to length. I ordered a few cases from Huntingtons. Dies are available from CH4D, I got a used set of RCBS from John S, but imagine RCBS prices would be outrageous.

[This message has been edited by Paul H (edited 03-15-2002).]

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
JR_
Why build one? You can buy this one today (its a beut.)
http://www.gameguns.com/riflesdetail28.htm

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Rigby 350 Rigby barrel that I put on
a 375 H&H square bridge mauser action a while ago but I have not had the time to put
a stock on it. I think that I still may have
a finish reamer and the headspace gages. If I have them you are welcome to borrow them if
you wish.

Posts: 151 | Location: Hartford, CT USA | Registered: 05 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I know this is an old thread, but I have always been interested in this caliber since I handled on of the original rifles in the Pachmayr Club in California.

Is brass still a pain, and would it fit nicely into a 300 H&H action size, or a MRC long action?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bertram makes brass for it and you could probably get dies from CH4D. Size wise, the round is very close to 300/375 HH and it is non belted.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
forestb ,that link wont come up

jr,if you build one style it after a rigby,its easy enough......paul

Posts: 294 | Location: MASSACHUSETTS | Registered: 26 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Does someone here have the case deminsions and DIAGRAM?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 333_OKH:
Does someone here have the case deminsions and DIAGRAM?

Diameters:

bullet, .357"
neck, .380"
shoulder, .443"
base, .519"
rim, .525"

case length, 3.57"

Can't do you any good on the diagram.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your welcome.

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. The length really helps out. I like this case design in principle. I have a taste for the odd many times and really like this 35.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Bertram brass is too soft for modern pressure loads.

I believe Dieter Hornbear lists it as one of the cases he makes, and I would get the brass before getting the rifle. I don't believe any of the US sources of Hornbear brass carry the 350 Rigby, so you'd have to import from Germany.

The other option is turning down 375 H&H brass (this involves cutting the rim down, forming a deeper extractor groov and removing the belt), fl sizing, trimming to length and neck forming. If you don't get the shoulder set back far enough on the first pass through the die, the brass is lost. I formed about 50 cases and have lost a few to reloading oopses. I also have a few I didn't set the shoulder back far enough and had to s/can.

I've worked up one steller load in my rifle, 66gr Varget over a 250gr hornady rn, seated to the canalure. They clock 2700 fps even, group into 5/8-3/4" consistantly at 100 yds. Not bad for a military trigger and 2.5X scope. I've since put a weaver 6X scope on it.

At modern pressures performance is just a tad under a 358 Norma.

As much as I've enjoyed the round, I'd take a 358 Norma over it in a heartbeat due to the brass issue.

If you can deal with whelen level loads, I have 80 new Betram cases I'll sell at a reasonable price.

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
That is a killer only loading to the Whelen speeds? I will have to seriously think this over.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
If you use good brass you don't have to limit the loads. But the bertram brass is too soft for full patch. I've used one box of betram brass for my cast loads, and they work great for that. But when I tried some full patch loads the case heads swelled up. I should try to work up a whelen equivalent load, but it shoots so well with the 66gr Varget over 250 hornady rn that I've lost interest in load work Big Grin

Limiting to whelen levels is really keeping at original 350 Rigby balistics. But I understand in a modern rifle wanting to take advantage of the cases capacity. I could live with whelen balistics, but mine really shoots when pushed to 358 Norma levels.

Try and get ahold of Hornbear and see what he says about brass availability. I'd be interested in some brass if you want to put in an order to hornbear.

It really is a great round.

I'll try and take some pictures of loaded rounds and my rifle and post them.

To add to the case dimensions, the case length is 2.76" and the shoulder is 45 degrees. The body is identicle in dia and taper to the 375 H&H, but the shoulder is pushed back about a tenth of an inch, and the head is rimless/beltless. I couldn't find a diagram of the case.

350 Rigby Rimless Magnum 2nd from left flanked by the 303 brit and 9X57 mauser.

9.3X62 on left, 350 Rigby on the right.

It took a bunch of searching through the medium bore and African forums to dig these up. I could have sworn someone posted a dimentioned case sketch, but I don't recall where.

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Excellent information, thank you

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PAUL J.A.:

Probably because the link is to a rifle that was for sale almost five years ago. I think this is the same rifle for sale here:

http://rogerbain.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_...84a5856bc73741ce8c28

Everyone who likes old Mausers should go take a look at this rifle, it is a beauty. I've saved the photos to my permanent collection - since I can't afford to put the actual rifle in my permanent collection.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
quote:
Originally posted by PAUL J.A.:

Probably because the link is to a rifle that was for sale almost five years ago. I think this is the same rifle for sale here:

http://rogerbain.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_...84a5856bc73741ce8c28

Everyone who likes old Mausers should go take a look at this rifle, it is a beauty. I've saved the photos to my permanent collection - since I can't afford to put the actual rifle in my permanent collection.

Amazing Rifle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is exactly what I want my rifle patterned after, but with a slight pancake cheekpiece. The barrel profile on this rifle is the one I had duplicated that Jim Dubell is puttin similar sights on for me now, although it appears the sights are regulated for 200m, 300m, and 400m....That is a long ways out for open sights for me!

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Bottom to top, 350 Rem mag 225 sierra, 35 whelen ackley 250 A-fram, 350 Rigby 250 sp, 350 Rigby 250 rn.

Not nearly as nice as a real Rigby, but

John Ricks barreled it, and I did the rest of the metal work and stocked it. Still need to checker it and give it a decent bluing.

I guess I didn't have any details on this rifle further up the post. It's a VZ-24 mauser with a brownells bolt handle, dt wing safety, A&B barrel (cheap, heavy, tough to clean but groups well) barrel band front swivel, skeleton grip cap and packmeyer old english pad.

The stock was a semi-finished claro black a friend gave me, and started as the most gawd aweful 70's california shaped abortion you could imagine. I was able to remove the ugly, and fit an ebony forend tip. Grain is pretty plane, but it does have some color to it. I took a chip out of it at the ejection port bouncing around in a zodiac last fall, and finally dropped a little blacktail with it after missing a big running doe.

At a distance of feet the 250 rn nearly decapitated it with a neck shot, 1/2 dollar entrance, fist sized exit. I really should use a tougher bullet as Montague has plenty of brown bears.

Buddy who donated the stock helped me with the wood work. It is sealed with epoxy and covered with linspeed. It is utterly stable in all weather conditions, cold, colder, wet, wetter and warm Big Grin I used a Leupold 2.5x compact w/ 4A reticle for years, and now an old 6X weaver with post reticle sits atop it.

With the aforementioned 250 gr hornady rn load, I have to work hard to shoot over 1" groups, in fact it's pretty consistant at 3 into 3/4" day after day, and occasionally a 5/8" group.

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
So it really all comes down to brass!?!?! What is the cost for preformed brass currently?

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Amazing Rifle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[quote]

Yes Indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Damn Thats Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
F.R.MITCHELL 350Rigby SAFARI http://www.accuratereloading.com/frsafari.html

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 333_OKH:
So it really all comes down to brass!?!?! What is the cost for preformed brass currently?

I believe the Bertram is around $70 for 20 cases. I'm not sure what the Hornbear runs, I think something like $60/20, though you'll have to add shipping.

Sad to say, yes brass really is the limiting factor. If you have a lathe and freetime you can form it from 375 H&H brass which is the tact I took. I'll probably form another 50 or 100 cases when I get my new lathe and call it good.

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Okay, other than a Whelen, what historical caliber can you build in a 35??????

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Had to be a .35 Newton, I hear someone is making brass for it again. Or a .350 Griffin&Howe, a .375 H&H necked down to .358. Expencive dies and reamer, all else super cheep!

Hell, I'd go for some Horneber brass for the .350 Rigby! With that shoulder, they would last for ever!

Because you really, really want one! thumb

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
How old does it have to be to be historical?

358 Norma mag is a good 50 years old, and brass isn't an issue and dies are common.

If you really want a 350 Rigby, get ahold of Hornbear and see what the availability of brass is. 100 cases would last you a lifetime.

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you really want a 350 Rigby, get ahold of Hornbear and see what the availability of brass is. 100 cases would last you a lifetime.

Is there a webpage or e-mail? If not, what is the address and phone number?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Horneber will sell a few hundred cases direct but be prepared for sticker shock! Eeker

Horneber

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Well I send a price request in for 100 cases??????????????????????????????

one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
Paul

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but do you have a 35 Whelen Ackley? If so, do you know what kind of velocity the 250 in it runs?

I have heard mixed opinions on this round. One group says it gets little advantage over a standard Whelen and the other says it has a bit more shoulder, thus making it a little better.

Manny thanks

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
The 350 rigby was the 35 whelen AI.

Personally I believe loaded to the same pressure the ackley offers a 50 fps advantage. It is possible to load much higher, but only by operating at high pressures.

I won't state what loads I ran through the ackley chambering as I know they had to be hot. The gun would only group with those loads, which is why I had it re-chambered.