Find
Notify
Tools

How to arrest /removerust???
 Login/Join

<Jordan>
posted
Gentlemen:

Took delivery today of a new [used] rifle [BRNO 21-H, 7 x 57]. There is some very, very slight pitting in various spots on the action and barrel and a light patina of rust in some locations. I intend to have this rifle reblued and cleaned up, restocked, etc. In the interim, I don't want the rust to progress. Indeed, I want to remove it ASAP! What is the best way to arrest/remove this rust? Any reason why I should not simply buff the entire exterior of the action and barrel with a small, soft wire wheel [in a dremel tool] and then saturate the whole thing with some sort of rust preventative? Please advise. I do not want to do anything that will harm this jewel of a rifle and I do want to everything that will arrest any further deterioration.

Thanks,

Jordan

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
If you're going to refinish it via.someone else,,just hit the spots with steel wool,Then apply a coat of break free clp,or,pcl.They're going to be going over the whole thing when they buff it anyway.Good Luck with the restoration!!

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
<1GEEJAY>
posted
Hey'
There is a product,called CorrosionX.It is designed to remove rust.They have a web site,or you can find it on my site.
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jordan - STOP! Any rust remover will also remove your blueing.

Just rub over the surface with fine wire wool and a touch of oil. A 50/50 mixture of linseed oil and turpentine oil is what I use. Check out an artist supply store for them.

Note those are vegetable oils - not mineral!

After that, have a tea/beer break and then wipe it all away with a paper towel.

This will leave a thin impervious film - ir will also soak into the rust pitholes and stop any further rusting action.

I live within 120 m or so of the sea and my 30 + year old wood chisels still look like new.

On the moving bits - oil - rub in thoroughly - let it stand and wipe away the excess.

Check often and repeat as necessary.

Anyone who uses a machine tool, and that includes a buff, to prepare a gun for blueing should be asked to hold the targets at the range.

good luck - edi.

Posts: 222 | Location: Cape Town South Africa | Registered: 02 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Jordan,

I work for a company called Novum Solutions and we make a product that may be the answer to your problems, Blue Wonder Gun Cleaner. It will remove rust from the metal surfaces of your firearm and will NOT hurt your existing bluing. We also use it to prep areas on a firearm that need to have the bluing touched up. You can go to our web site and look at the our rust removal instructions to see for your self. the site is http://novumsolutions.com/BlueWonderGunCleanerInstructions.html If you have any questions please let me know. My direct email is dvasquez@novumsolutions.com.

Posts: 21 | Location: Houston | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
DV,

I ordered some of the Blue Wonder, and also some of the muscle stuff. I will let you know how I like them.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Denny,

My Blue Wonder Gun Cleaner arrived this week, and I cleaned the two rifles I am prepping for a hunt after a trip to the range.

The effort to clean the bores was much reduced over my usual practice. I did notice that I could still see some jacket colored plating on the lands in the vicinity of the muzzle. It did look thin, and I could match the color to the color of the jacket material I was using.

In my .308 I shot some Norma Oryx loads, and the jackets on those bullets appear to be copper. They are a bonded core design.

I shot some Trophy Bonded solids in my .375 H&H, and those bullets look like gilding metal in color.

So far so good.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote