New
Find
Notify
Tools

m98 bolt parts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am preparing to start my Mauser project and had some questions about altering the bolt. Would yall suggest I go to a m70 style saftey and then change out the bolt shroud? I received my new Brownell's catalog and perused the m98 pages looking at all the upgrades. How about a European stlye "flat" bolt. Do I have a gunsmith cut the old bolt off and weld the new style on? A Timney trigger?
Question of nostalgia, do all of these upgrades defeat the purpose of owning an original m98?
Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
If you like m70 style safeties I would go with one of the commercial style that comes with its own shroud. There has been some discussion on here as to which fit the best. If cost is a factor you can have the military shroud altered and fit with a two position m70 style shroud for about $50.

I would find the style of bolt handle you like print off a picture and take it to you gunsmith. I am sure he can help you figure out what is the best course of action. More than likely it will be a cut and weld project.

As far as nostalgia, well if you are wanting a copy of an old mauser sporter yeah you are not headed in the right direction but if you are wanting a cusom rifle with the options you like who cares. I like mauser actions but I like m70 style safety levers.

Another thing you will want to consider is bottom metal. If you want a drop floorplate you will need to get that too. I really like the one Blackburn that I have but there are others too. Again if cost is an issue you can find some mark x take offs on Ebay, Gunbroker and Auction arms. They usually run about $100.

Have fun! It is always worth the $ if you like it when you get done.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any other suggestions from you Mauser owners?

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
That's sorta like asking which tie you should buy. Pick what you like best and have it done.

Personally, I like the FN style left side safety. Others hate them, that's why I get so many.

I prefer a cut and weld on the handle. I'm not much for forging but it has it's place. I prefer the Oberndorf style or even something similar to the Talley. But, most folks ask me to weld on the Brownells handle for them. Go figure.

Most of what you ask is a matter of personal preference. Go with what appeals to you best.

No sense in leaving a mauser as-is if you won't use it. (Possible exception for a rare and/or valuable example). Do to it what it takes to get the job done.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a few mausers hunting rifles. A commercial action, and a few military actions. They vary in the amount of money I have put into them, and few are worth what i hav in them. With that said, i would't trade any of them either.

Of all the safety configurations, I do like the model 70 style. I have a couple of the converted military style that someone did for me, they are a two position kind. for about twice the money you can get the Dakota or the Gentry, and I think there is another our there. They look better and they are three position. I do think it is the nest style, although I have a FN lefty and a beuhler righty and they eork fine too. they are really not far nbehind the model 70 style, and work just fine for a lot less money.

Friends don't let friends use see through scope mounts!

Posts: 130 | Location: Alpharetta, GA, USA | Registered: 04 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just finished fitting a Dakota to a Mauser bolt. Previously there were a few posts about how bad these were. I didn't believe it then but I do now. I had to re- engineer the damn thing; couldn't even get the thing screwed into the bolt and when I got it in, I couldn't even close the bolt. About 4 hours later it was done. I would have rejected it earlier but it belonged to a client and it had been engraved.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Perry There certainly are a lot of options in building a Mauser 98 sporter. Depending on whether you are using a military action or a commercial action there is quite a variety of safeties,triggers bolt handles etc. Unfortunatly at lot of the mods that are done get driven by cost and not by what works best.If you really want a nice "using" rifle don't be afraid to spend a couple dollars to make it the way you really want it.I have a number of mausers with various triggers & safties etc and they all work. But some work just a little better. I would strongly suggest you put a Timney trigger on andI like the model 70 type safety but only in the 2 position variety. As for the bolt handle I don't care for the butter knife type handle on a hunting rifle. I would have a new handle welded on with a Tig machine. I have one of Jim Kobe two position safeties on one of my rifles. They are reasonably priced and they work. Hope your rifle turns out just the way you like it.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote