One of Us
posted
Thsnks

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1794 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, SDH-

I have an idea of the amount of work it takes to put together a book.

So I wish you pride and great success with this new publication.

flaco

One of Us
posted Hide Post
78 views and one response.

One of our most valued members publishes a new book, and... breath-taking silence.

I cannot believe it.

Where are all those that line up to post vitriol, more than willing to go tooth and claw over some dubious piece of esoterica?

This is a really big deal.

A new book.

We should all be honored that SDH is an active contributor here.

I am.

flaco

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
SDH, you have a pm.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Excellent!! If this book is half as good as the other books you have written, it will be well worth the asking price. Your other two books were some of the best I have ever read on the subject matter. Congrats on finishing a new book. Do you accept any forms of electronic payment and/or will you have copies available at the ACGG show?

Any chance of some pictures from the book previewed here? I am sure the photography will be outstanding.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congradulations Steve, I'm looking forward to getting a copy.

Shane Thompson

Posts: 125 | Location: Soda Springs, ID 83276 | Registered: 25 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SDH

You mention "finest Italian Locks"

My question is this. Briefly, what makes Ivo and Tullio Fabbri's shotguns so special that some people think they are the finest shotguns in the world.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Check is in the mail. Forrest A.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check enroute.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just received my copy of this new book this morning and have spent the last couple of hours reading and studying it.

All I can say is that if you are a lover of fine guns it would be well worth your money to invest in a copy of this book. It is a wonderful book, mostly about Double Shotguns, but even if you only like rifles it would still be worth your while to purchase the book because of all of the fine gunsmithing advice Steve gives in the book.

Get yourself a copy. You will be glad you did.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am about halfway through th enew book and heartily reccomend it for anyone with an intrest in doubles, or even gunmaking in general. SOme good case studies of custom projects and how smaller manufactuerers work. Also chapters on specific gunmaking processes. Another literary hit from SDH!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr Hughes

Thank you for the new book. It is truly a treat; interesting and appropriate subject matter, properly organized, and very well written. It is both entertaining and informative. It is clearly a must have for those interested in fine guns and gunmaking.

Except for that silly drivel about your thoughts on your talent in the intro, it is spot on accurate. I don't for a minute believe your "hard work and I owe it to others" thesis. Clearly you have superior skill, as a metal smith, as a wood smith, as a wordsmith and as a photographer. No one is born with those skills. Some develop skills more quickly or completely than others, but the level of skill you bring to this comes only to those few with talent and the ability to continue with focus and learn their craft. It is persistent and diligent work that develops that talent. You sir have enormous talent and have developed that well.

In addition, you clearly have a passion for your work, and I believe that combination has and will continue to serve you well. Your current books are a clear reflection of that talent, skill and passion. We are all richer for it. I am certain your books will continue to be well received, and I hope we will see more of them in the future.

Thank you again.

Roger

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lots of folks say I have a "passion" for the work; I'd call it enthusiasm.

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Another fine book! It was a pleasure chatting with you in MD, thanks for the time.

Posts: 238 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr Hughes

I did not mean to imply that you were not being honest, or that your statements were not true. I even agree with you that talented craftsmen are made not born. And yes, it takes support and assistance of good people to learn skills, develop talent, and complete projects. Some have potential, but that is not the same thing as talent. I believe anyone completing of the projects (in metal, wood, photographs, and words) you present has true talent. That is not a common achievement.

Perhaps "silly drivel" was a bad choice of words, but it reflects my thoughts at the time I read your intro after completing the book.

Again, thanks for the great book and congratulations.

Roger

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PM sent.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote