New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester model 70 trigger adjustment
 Login/Join

<Oscar>
posted
I recently bought a 300 WSM in a Win. model 70. I like the cartridge, but the trigger is way to heavy with some creep as well. Can the average moderately mechanical person adjust this trigger. I have adjusted several Remington and Savage trigger with no problem so I have a little experience. Any and all help welcome. Thanks ... Oscar.

<Don Martin29>
posted
The M-70 trigger is very easy to adjust.
http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/AdjustingWinTrigger.htm

I just did a new M-70 and the spring is different from the old M 70's as it's shorter. This means that if you adjust the two nuts down too far there will be no spring tension at all!

This fact elimiates my usual comments about changing or altering the spring to get a light pull as the present spring will adjust as I said to too little weight. All the more reason to follow the link's instructions on using fingernail polish to hold the nuts.

<Oscar>
posted
Don,

Thanks for the trigger info. I read through it and it looks easy. I'll make sure I do it before I go out to the range again. I bought the rifle for my son and developed some very nice reduced loads using H 4895. There is a good article in the most recent Handloader magizine. Thanks again. ... Oscar

one of us
posted Hide Post
I asked this same question a while ago and Bill Leeper gave me a great answer. But what I did to adjust this was first get ride of the stock spring. I took one out of a ball point pen. Then with the rifle apart I took some Epoxy ( actually I used finger nail polish hardener/clearcoat) and in the recess of the notch the firing mech engages I slowly built it up one coat at a time letting it dry and then test firing it to see how light it was. I believe I put nearly 10 coats of that epoxy on there before I got the trigger down to an honest 2 lbs breaking point. The beauty of this is if you screw up you can always remove the polish whereas if you file down the engaging part of the notch you can screw up and never go back to stock. So far the polish has lasted me around 500 rounds. A better idea was to glue a very thin piece of plastic or maybe even sacrifice a thin feeler gauge to build up the trigger notch for a smoother and possibly better trigger break.

Posts: 968 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote