Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

308 Norma Magnum Bed Rails?
 Login/Join

posted
I have a Pattern 17 Enfield made by the folks at Remington that has been rechamberd t 308 Norma Magnum. It's a real tack driver, however When chambering a round occasionaly I get three shells popping up in the receiver all at once. I do not know the history of this rifle, or what was done to it during the rebarreling-rechambering work. Would changing the bed rails be a place I should look to correct the feeding problem? Anything else I should have a gunsmith look at? Whats involved with changing the bed rails?
Cheers: Eaglesnester

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eaglesnester;

You need a gunsmith that has considerable experience in the type of conversion that was done on this rifle. Getting a bolt action to feed properly is not rocket science, but improperly done it frequently results in the problem you are having.

Posts: 231 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: 08 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Your Remington built "Model" 17 Enfield has apparently had the feed rails already modified since the rounds pop up through. If anything needs modifying, it would be to possibly widen that portion directly under the feed rail to allow the fatter Magnum case, to sit under the rail a little better so as not to come out as the bolt is cycled. That and possibly the follower. A gunsmith experienced in feed related issues would be the one to see.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote