New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with Pre64 M70
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently purchased a Pre64 M70 in 30-06, upon recieving the rifle I was shocked to see three hole in the left side of the reciever that the seller omitted to mention to me prior to paying him. I'm stuck with the rifle since the seller refuses to return my calls. What can be done to repair this? Any help/ideas? Please.
bigbull

Posts: 400 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would think they were for a side scope mount. You can get some screws that are used to plug them.

Dont you hate those sleeze ball jerks that dont disclose details or they are just assholes that lie about the condition of a gun !

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bigbull,

If your sure there was no mention that the rifle had a side mount then the rifle was misrepresented. Now if you paid $375 US for it and the rest of it is good then you got your money's worth. If you paid a lot and just got a standard grade with holes then you have a reason to take action.

What I don't know are the Canadian laws. We have small claims court here for values such as we are talking about. If you have a similar venue and the court would take place in your area then contact the seller by registered letter and say that you will take him to court if he does not refund your money.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Find the scope mount that fits that hole pattern and make the best of a bad situation. Three holes sounds like it might be an Echo or a Williams, but there are probably others.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bigbull,
There are a coupleof options as far as filling these holes is concerned. They can be welded up and the receiver reblued. Or they can be plugged and the receiver reblued. Either way, They could end up nearly invisible.
Whetherthe seller is a business or a private party, let other Canadian shooters know who it is so they can avoid buying from him. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3571 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just had to fill some holes like that on a M98. Put some screws in to fill the holes as mentioned and then have someone TIG weld them solid. Smooth up and re blue.

Libertatis Aequilibritas

Posts: 570 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GSP7 OH I hate it when there isn't full disclosure.

Savage99, No, there was no disclosure. I didn't pay alot, just don't think I would have bought it if I knew ahead or time.

vigillinus, It's an Idea!

Bill Leeper, I am trying to make him succum to his humanity, if that fails I will splash his name on the CGN site and let others know who he his, so no one else will go through what I'm going through.

billhilly66Is there alot of heat involved in TIG welding, more so than mig or arc etc.

Thanks to all
bigbull

Posts: 400 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's why I have it TIG welded. Not near as much heat transfer. A heat sink and heat paste are still a good Idea.

Libertatis Aequilibritas

Posts: 570 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had similar experiences with P-64 70s involving extra holes driled under scope mounts, glassbedding in rifles sold as totally original, mint and so forth. There are many characters who pose as "collectors" who are actually dealers without licences and small claims court is a lot of hassle.

Any good gunsmith can plug, weld and blue a 70 receiver so that you cannot tell it was ever tampered with, Joe Dlask did a couple for me some years ago and Bill Leeper certainly could do this. I would get this done and use the rifle as a hunter/shooter as I do all of mine, even the mintiest ones. I hate sidemounts on 70s and Mannlicher-Schoenauers with a passion and always have any bubba'ed rifles repaired.

Do advise everyone on every forum you participate in just who this guy is, there is NO excuse for this sort of slimey dealing. There are actually well-known dealers and gunsmiths in B.C. whom I avoid due to experiences such as this one and this is why I recommend very few smiths and gunshops.....and avoid most of the hotshots who peddle re-finished parts guns as rare collectibles at gunshows.

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well Kute I am not as anti sidemount as you are, I crawl stocks and can usually get the scope further forwards with a sidemount and not get bunked in the forehead, and when you take the scope off the top of the rifle is clean. But as they say at the other end of Canada, chacun a son gout, each to his own taste. Anyway when you fill and weld the holes you can usually see them on the inside of the receiver.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, the other end of Canada is not Quebec, it is Newfoundland, the oldest settled part of North America, originally by Norwegian-Icelandic Vikings, then their English heirs. They do not usually speak the ding-dong there and it is not widely spoken in any part of Canada although the Liberal traitors, Frogs and multicult vermin are trying to shove it down our collective gullets.

The inside of the 70 receivers are easy to polish slightly to remove the signs of welding, if said welding was done well. If, you like sidemounts, fine, I have yet to see one that I would trust to stay solid in tough bush conditions; I consider the G&H to be a piece of crap and I have used about a dozen rifles so equipped.

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I stand - or sit, preferably - corrected !!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Properly installed and with proper maintence there is no better QR mount than a G&H, and I also have used them for years in "bush conditions", perhaps you had worn out mounts that had been switched around with different rings which is often the case with disenters...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bigbull,
You need to name names so the rest of us can avoid the asshole.

Posts: 219 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: 03 October 2003Reply With Quote