New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: M70 WSM to Lazz 7.82 Patriot ???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I believe he was asking about the Patriot. Isn't that the short action, short and fat loaded in the Savage rifle?
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark Bansner (Pennsylvania) is a Lazzeroni dealer and also makes a fair amount of custom rifles on the Win 70 action each year.

I agree with the comments on bolt-thrust (see Lilja barrel web-site) and that's why I used the same action Lazzeroni uses on his custom rifles --- the McMillan MCR-T. THe Lazzeroni ammo isn't really loaded to 70K psi but it is loaded to the high 60K just like Weatherby, etc.

Don't worry about the Lazzeroni brass failing on you as it is some of the stoutest you can find....if that brass fails something worse will have happened first.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

"Rapid fire is the crutch of an incompetent marksman. ONE SHOT, ONE KILL."

So why do you carry a repeater? Never really been bush?

It should be obvious with a little thought, but for those not well equiped for that I will answer. MULTIPLE TARGETS!

My brother-in-law is contemplating the build on a stainless CRF originally in .270WSM. I immediately suggested rebarreling to .300WSM as that is what my custom M70 CRF is in. He is just to determined to try for near 3000 fps from a 28" Mike Rock 5R barrel firing 210gr vld JLK or Bergers. I have to admit that .640 bc at such a velocity is a powerful temptation for me now that I have started thinking about it but I am happy with what my WSM does with 190gr Match Kings, but perhaps when it I need to replace the current barrel.... He has some data from Lazzeroni for well over 3000 fps with a 200 gr Partition at a little over 65000 psi from a 26" barrel.

Thanks for the tip on Bansner Custom Rifles. I will pass along that info so he and the riflesmith can consult with someone experienced before the bolt face is opened and the chamber is cut.

Also the Savage 16 factory chambered for the Patriot is a 2 lug action.

Posts: 285 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep. Also, Dakota chambers their 76 action in 338 Lapua, which is bigger than the patriot, and it is the same two-lug design as the M70.
I'm sure it's been done lots.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote