Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M96 Bolt Replacement
 Login/Join

posted
I have a question that someone might help me with. I picked up an M96 replacement bolt. It needed some cleaning up. I want to weld on a replacement bolt handle to allow low mount scope. When I tried the bolt it wasn't anywhere near as smooth as the original bolt. In fact, at first it wouldn't lock into battery. I cleaned it and tried again. It seemed to go this time - not smooth but closed. My thoughts were to polish this bolt or work it until smooth in the action. I may have to lap the lugs (keeping a close eye on headspace). I'd rather weld the new bolt handle on this bolt than the original. However, I don't want to mess up the fit of the original bolt in the action. Any suggestions/expert advice is solicited.
Thanks in advance,
Regards,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Whats wrong with the original bolt?

Is your rifle a husky of gustaf? Maybe your putting a husqvarna bolt in a carl gustaf and it aint fittin as good as a carl gustaf bolt or visa versa..

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
GSP7,
Nothing is wrong with my original bolt. I want to bend/weld the handle. However, I was thinking that I didn't want to destroy the original bolt - sort of back up. All the numbers match on the bolt. So, I'm a little reluctant to cut/bend/weld. Maybe a little paranoid. Anyway......
I think this may be a bolt that fit in the husky. I have to do a little more research. This has large gas vent holes - two of them. My CG only has a small vent hole.
Thanks,
Regards,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it is not a Swede bolt. Two large vent holes?? I have several Husqvarnas and Carl Gustafs and they all Have I small holes

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If that bolt doesn't have the guide rib on it, it is probably from a 95 mauser.

Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just looked at my swedish mauser book.

No swede had 2 large vent holes.

All had either none(pre1896), 1 small hole(pre1905), 2 small holes ,one of which is kinda on the side(post1905)

What you have must not be a swede bolt.

posted Hide Post
Let me clarify "large" these are larger than my original bolt, but nothing like the gas vents on a 98 bolt. The original bolt has a single gas vent. All parts look like they are of the swedish design. The bolt will slide into the action, but closing would require much effort. If I were to close it, closing feels like grinding of the components.
Thanks,
Regards,