Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-64 Custom project
 Login/Join

posted
Hi, I'm looking for some advice. I have a Pre-64 in .264 mag that I have owned since '72 and I am trying to decide a custom path. This rifle has the original "Winchester Proof" stainless 26" barrel that the factory used some type of rust blue technique that adhered to the stainless. I am thinking of re-chambering the rifle to somthing with a little more "pop", I am a strange purist though and do not want a round that says "Remington" in my Winchester. I am thinking of a 30/338 Winchester ??? Also the rifle has an "exibition" grade fiddleback maple stock in the California/Weatherby style. I like the butstock but do not care for the wedge shaped forend. The stock is un-checkered, could the oil finish be stripped and the forend be re-shapped to a more classic round shape with an ebony cap ? or would this just look "wrong" I am thinkind of either a Schilen or Pac-Nor Polygon Barrel. If I get a another Stainless barrel is the thecnology still out there to "rust-blue" it like my action or do I have to "Teflon" it. I welcome all feedback...

Posts: 11 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 16 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
As a follow-up, Rather than getting out the wood rasp, Is it possible to take my stock to someone who has a duplicating machine and a stock of the shape I am looking for and have it pattern that forend on my stock? or does that only work for a new blank? also what can anyone tell me about case-coloring some bits on my rifle.. I do like the look..

Posts: 11 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 16 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the finish can be stripped, the forend reshaped and an ebony tip added. As far as looking right that's up to you. I've seen lots of Ca/Wby type stocks w/o the wedge shaped forend and they look fine to me. IMO, those "wedgies" are butt ugly anyway. Or, you can always find a used stock that you like or go with an aftermarket stock and save or sell the original. Sounds like a fun project.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Duplicators don't work that way. You can't take bits and pieces off of different patterns and apply to one stock. You could make a pattern off of your stock, leave the forend square and shape the forend by hand to make your own pattern to be duplicated onto a new piece of wood.

From my experience, there isn't enough wood in the right places on your Wby type forend to reshape and get the nice ovoidal shape you are looking for.

Turnbull is the go to guy for color case hardening. Sorry, I don't have his web address. Type his name into your search engine or try Creekside Gunshop.

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
TCarter:

Welcome to the forum.

I am certainly no expert on Winchester finishes, but I believe that Winchester iron plated their stainless barrel prior to bluing. Now, however, there are caustic bluing processes that will blue stainless steel. To my knowledge it isn't possible to rust blue a stainless steel.

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote