New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tilden bases? for Pre 64 M70
 Login/Join

<chris_m>
posted
I recently bought a pair of Tilden bases for my Pre 64 Model 70 270. I bought them off of e-bay. When they arrived the rear base has about 3/8" center to center hole spacing. These holes match up perfectly on my 375 H&H. My question is for a standard length pre 64 action did the rear Tilden base only screw in with a single screw? Also, does any body have a rear base for a standard length action that they would like to sell or trade for an H&H rear base? Thanks for any help that can be provided in this matter.

Chris

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chris,
Back in the old days...... Tilden made his base and ring combinations on a custom basis. He wanted to know rifle, Caliber, scope etc. It is not unusual to find that the rear ring appears to be higher than the front ring- Tube to bottom of ring not counting dovetail. Tilden made bases more or less of equal thickness and because bridge heighth varied the difference was picked up in the rear ring. The M54 and 70 prewar were drilled on the bridge in the custom dept. Store bought-no holes in bridge- but never say never where Winchester is involved. Tilden DID settle on a .375" spacing for the Pre- War 70 and the 54. This was still usable on the 70 pre-war mag because the U- notch was about as far to rear on bridege as the clip slot. Post war, initially, the bridge was not drilled so still .375 Tilden spacing but these bases were milled for the new bridge contour a 1.4" radius, whereas the pre-war and 54 used that radius on the edges with a special contour of RING radius that would just clear the edges of the clip slot (as wide as) I mention this in order that you look at a picture of if you do not also have a pre-war to verify that ,indeed, you DO have the post war contour underside the rear base. Because the magnums were not bridge drilled for some time and Tilden could see no reason to make a special long rear base for the standard with .860" spacing the rear base WAS supplied with .375 hole spacing. When Winchester ultimately decided to split the difference ie. drill the magnums at .430 span on the bridge, Tilden finally caved in and followed suit. You could,thus, have either hole spacing. Solution is to drill the extra hole and tap it. Tilden also carburised all parts, even the rings, and the front base is apt to be bowed upwards in the middle. Have your fitter spot the base in so that the screw can pull the base down to where the screws provide a base to receiver metal to metal fit particularly in the screw area. Tildens shot loose from thread stretching , too, when this was not taken care of. Were some Tilden rear bases supplied with but one attaching screw hole? Yes. These were meant to be sweat soldered AND screwed in place.

Posts: 199 | Location: Kalispell MT. | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I have an old custom FN Mauser with Tilden bases and rings. The rear base has 3/8" hole spacing rather than the usual 1/2". I also have an extra set of 7/8" Tilden rings if anyone needs them ($20).

[ 12-23-2002, 23:13: Message edited by: fla3006 ]

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote