New
Find
Notify
Tools

need a take off bbl ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Would anyone happpen to have a barrel taken off a Rem. 700 in .308 that could be rebored and fitted to a model 7 ?

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got a 700 matte with sights in 7mm mag if your interested.

Posts: 136 | Location: PA | Registered: 16 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking of rebarelling my M700VS this fall. It is a .308, but it's a heavy target bbl.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This guy has the most take off barrels:
http://www.kailuacustom.com/Products/Barrels1.htm

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Elkslayer
posted Hide Post
I have the following barrels all from M7s;

.308 - 18 1/2"

.308 - 18/1/2" has been recrowned and would need to have a chamber reamer ran back in as it has been refaced and is short chambered.

.243 - 18/1/2" Absolutely new

Have no idea what to ask for any of them, make me an offer.

Posts: 452 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 15 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Speaking of this... Are the threads, on Remington rifles, all the same? i.e., will a barrel from a M-700 screw on a model 7? model 600? model 660? XP? mountain rifle? If they are not all the same, which ones are? Just curious,,,,,,,,,,,Bug.

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Elkslayer
posted Hide Post
I believe they are interchangeable. I have had a M700 bbl installed inplace of the 18 1/2 inch snubbie. It improved the balance of the rifle making it slightly muzzle heavy. I replaced the wood stock with a HS precision which has a longer forend so the rifle doesn't look out of proportion.

Posts: 452 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 15 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A check with Mark at:
KailuaCustom@aol.com
reveals that all Remington barrels have the same threads. He says there are "Minor differences in the length from the shoulder to the breech sometimes".
I recently exchanged the barrel from my Model 7, in .243, to .308 (a pull-off from another m-7. It indexed about 120 degrees out, so the labeling and caliber designation wound up just above the stock line on the RIGHT side, and updide-down. The front sight holes were almost on the bottom. Headspace was spot-on, though. I briefly toyed with having the barrel set back and rechambered, but decided against it, as the expense wouldn't make it shoot any better.
A 700 barrel would give you more length, but wouldn't be contoured the same as a model 7 (or would it?). I have been told that the Mountain Rifle has about the same contour as the M-7, but can't attest to this fact,,,,Bug.

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ebay is full of these. Most go for less than $25, due to supply and demand. Apparently buying Remington rifles for the action is a cottage industry.

Posts: 1238 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think when I was looking at Christensen Arms site the other day they listed Rem takeoffs for $40. I couldn't get to their site just now to confirm this but I'm pretty sure that is where I saw it. Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote