New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bladesmith Bill Moran Passes Away
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Master Bladesmith Bill Moran passed away on 12 February 2006 in Maryland. One of the three most influential knife makers of the Twentieth Century, Moran rediscovered in 1972 and popularized the Damascus steel blade. He was well known for sharing his knowledge instead of hoarding it for his own gain or glory.

Wishing to make blades for use, he was apparently somewhat disappointed in his role as a supplier of blades for display, one of which recently sold for $30,000. He will be missed.

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From everything I've ever read or heard Bill Moran was one of the most giving persons ever in the trade. He did everything in his power to share his skills and knowledge with other knifemakers. The world would be a far better place with more people like him in it............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
From everything I've ever read or heard Bill Moran was one of the most giving persons ever in the trade. He did everything in his power to share his skills and knowledge with other knifemakers. The world would be a far better place with more people like him in it............DJ

DJ

I think the world is a better place because YOU are in it. You have been very generous in sharing photos of the your customization work, and generous in telling how you did the work, and generous in advising people about your suppliers and the parts and equipment and supplies that you use. clap