THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Mauser case color hardening..... Post or Prior to heat treatment?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser case color hardening..... Post or Prior to heat treatment?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted
I am going to build up a M96 in 358 Win with all of the bells and whistles, surface grind and polish, Lapour 3 Pos saftey, hopefully Duanes bottom metal, and a re heat treatment.

Now my question is this; I am looking to case color harden it. Should that be done post or prior to the rehardening?

Adam

Ammo, you always need more.

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
your color case hardening will be your rehardening. one and the same.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mausers are soft. Old Mausers are made of low-carbon steel which does not 'heat-treat' (read harden) very well unless case-hardened by adding carbon to the outer portion of the steel while heating/quenching.

Case-hardening is not case-coloring although it often produces attractive colors. Case-coloring does not necessarily increase hardness unless the operator uses the proper technique.

If your case-coloring is done by a knowledgeable operator to increase hardness then you'll not need any other heat-treatment if the case-coloring/hardening was done properly.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
The process I am speaking of is CASE COLOR HARDENING. I know not to case harden a mauser and then run it full bore.

So if I Case Color Harden the action and it's done right I don't have to preform another heat treatment to increase the strength and prevent lug set back. Correct?

I want the colors but I need the strength, so case coloring is the way to go, and another heat treatment isn't needed.

Adam

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Color case hardening doesn't usally add much carbon to the surface .However it can with added time.
Or you could case harden just to add necessary carbon then as a second step color case harden.

One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
Color case hardening doesn't usally add much carbon to the surface .However it can with added time.
Or you could case harden just to add necessary carbon then as a second step color case harden.

That's what I thought, or at least I was understanding.

I have going to have Blanchards harden it (FalGrunt doing the work) but I will let them know my concerns up front. Any other reccomendations for the task of strengthening and cases coloring a Mauser?

Adam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:

I understand that color case hardening will destroy any prior case hardening.

One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
So I will have blanchards harden it and then case color it. Adam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My point is that there is no use in case hardening before color case hardening. Even if done one right after the other by the same shop.

If Blanchard's or any other shop advises you differently, please let us (me) know, I have always been interested in the subject.

Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Delloro, No !
Case hardening adds carbon to the steel in a thin layer.
Color case hardening adds carbon also but to a thinner layer.
The color case will not take away carbon from a previous case hardening.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mete, check your PMs please.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You need to consider the process steps separately. Case hardening means first carburizing the surface of the material to the required depth and then quenching it to generate martensite. Carburizing and quenching is usually done together (you quench from the carburizing temperature). However, you could also carburize to the desired depth, slow-cool your workpiece and then perform a separate color case hardening process. The quench involved in that process will still harden your previously carburized surface layer.

A full case hardening cycle (carburizing and quenching) and then a separate color case hardening process would not make sense, since the properties from the first quench would be lost when reheating.

I have no experience with color case hardening; however, in theory it should also be possible to produce a reasonable case depth and the desired color effect in one step.

Posts: 164 | Location: Germany | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JV:
in theory it should also be possible to produce a reasonable case depth and the desired color effect in one step.
This is how the true experts always do it.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are lots of variables here . Mausers typically were plain carbon ,about like our 1020. Today an alloy steel is used like my Lone Star Rolling Block. That's made of 8620 ,color case hardened.
My Mauser M98 had spotty hardening so it was case hardened though not color case hardened .
Try to find what you have and decide what you want to achieve , then proceed from there .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took a color case hardening class years ago at Trinadad College. Many differant types of steel were case colored. The only problem I saw was someone had a M98 that had already been carbonized by blanchards. When it was color case hardened,right after it was quenched, it started to crack and soon was spider webbed with cracks, It had pretty colors though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, I know what little I have read about case and case color hardening but I have noticed that ab is talking about a 96 mauser, not a 98. From what I do know about mausers you are not discussing apples to apples...Just a thought

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote