Find
Notify
Tools

Synthetic stock
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted
I have a simple question for the gunsmiths. I have a Ruger 77MKII SSLH 300win,with the laminate stock. It is pretty heavy how much if any would a synthetic stock lighten it up?? Can I buy a LH synthetic??

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Elkman I'm not sure what your laminate weighs but I'm guessing it is 3 to 3.5 pounds, maybe I'm high.
Synthetics in my experience range in weights of 1 pound 6 oz to 2.5 pounds. I've found that the lighter they are the more they seem to want for them. I've been pondering a few synthetics lately as working stocks for rifles that I'm making up while I can save up for fancy wood.
Bell and Carlsons are in the 2 to 2.5 pound range.
I think MPI makes a 22oz. stock but I've not handled it yet.
Another option is to lighten your existing stock by boring strategic holes in it to lighten it, I saw a post about this a couple weeks ago.
Good Luck!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think synthetics suck compared to Laminate...

however, if your heart is set on lightening up the stock you have, I am sure a gunsmith could lighten it up....

for consultation, here is the Boyd's Web site where they have a diagram of their light weight option on their stocks, which your gunsmith can use as a template....

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/custom.htm

If I had a left handed synthetic stock around, I would swap you for it...

Good luck,
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I'm going to think about this for awhile, I would like to lighten it up or buy another rifle a little lighter

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These are wonderful stocks and come in at 20oz. I'll bet your laminate weighs at least twice that. I've put these on rifles formerly having standard wood stocks and the weight difference was remarkable.

Bansner High Tech

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can get the McMillan edge stock for this rifle over at the 24 Hour Campground forum on sale right now for about $440 delivered. It weighs approximately 20-22 ounces finished. I would suspect adding this stock would reduce your rifles weight by at least 1 1/2 pounds.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote